Question about license

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by psych1610, Sep 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psych1610

psych1610 Registered Member

Redneckville, FL .. originally Newburgh, NY!!!!
    Hello guys and gals, I have nod32 2.7 installed on my main laptop at my house and I have for a few months now. I purchased a year license from some reseller on here (I'm sorry, I forget the user or business name) and everything is going smoothly.

Recently I got a laptop from my college. (IBM R60). It's not the best of the bunch for sure, but it was free and certainly works adequate enough for my needs. It had Sophos on it previously, I guess the school licensed it but it kept failing to update and in my opinion was complete crap (having missed numerous viruses on my friends computers in the past). Rather than take it back and get my laptop taken away and the hard drive reimaged to fix the problem (its all they would do) I'd rather put an antivirus I KNOW works well on it.

Problem is this, the computer is not truly mine. It's only mine until I graduate which is next May or possibly a month or two after depending on how long I procrastinate before giving it back. Is there a way I can get a shorter license period (say until May or June), or pay something by month, or any way I can get Nod32 on my computer until I graduate without having to pay for a year license since a few months of that would surely be wasted since I would have to give it back before then.

Appreciate the help, sorry about the long story.

psych1610

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Generally YES , I think you can get such 6 or so month license . As it is a little bit more special , you can contact ESET Sales Dept or a local reseller and ask for this :thumb:

3. psych1610

Hey Hi_Tech Boy, unfortunately it looks as if you're wrong. I contacted both ESET and two resellers and both have told me that I can't get a few month or 6 month license. To quote ESET themselves "Licenses only come in one year and two year flavors".

So here's how I intend to get around that, if I can. And please tell me if its legal etc. The ESET staff seemed to be confused by this.

I have ESET on my main desktop now... I purchased it a few months back, lets say May. So by May '08 the one year license will expire.

If I purchase a year subscription for this laptop I got from my school I will be wasting a few months on it because I would have return the computer in May.

So, say I do this: Uninstall nod32 from the laptop I received from my school in May '08. Then export the registry keys from the nod 32 I have on my desktop (to preserve settings) that would expire in May. Then uninstall the one from my desktop, reinstall, and insert username and password from the copy that was on the laptop I returned to school into the one on my desktop.

Or do I even have to uninstall, then resinstall then insert username and password. Can I just change username and password instead?

Basically, I don't want to get screwed out of two months or maybe even less.

Can I do this, is it possible? I'd really like to use nod but I don't wanna get ripped off of a few months.

psych1610

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , I can explain it in details but to be short and not to say something from the resellers' stuff I will say that technically it is possible to make a license valid for 6 months only - no problem about that . One can pay half the money (or so) of 1 year license for 6 month license . As I said , it is a little bit more special but it can be done and is really up to the reseller and his/her wish to do it.

I don't understand very well what you want to do exactly ... but let me say that what you want to do is far from easy because in May 08 (in case everything goes well) , ESET will have v3 of the antivirus . V3 will be the preffered choice (haven't you looked at the beta section of the forum?) . V3 has its own option to import and export settings so no more such "touch in the registry" exercise :thumb:

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Just a word of caution.....depending on your schools policies...if you remove their antivirus, and install your own...your PC may no longer be "approved" to run on their network....many schools will "sniff" your PC as it logs onto their network..to ensure compliance. If compliance is not met...you're forced onto a captive portal..where updates/security software is to be installed on the PC...only once that has been done..are you allowed onto the main network.

You can easily transfer your license from one PC to another without uninstalling/reinstalling. Simply change the username and password in the update section with the latest valid one...it's only used for updates, once it expires...it will simply fail to update until you enter your new one.

You also have options for an "Academic License"..at a much lowered rate, which takes the bite out of having the license run 2x months with a feeling of losing value..(which in reality comes down to just the price of a hamburger)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  6. psych1610

Thanks very much for all the answers, I think I will just purchase the year of nod32. It's better than leaving my computer unprotected as it is now, and by the sounds of what YeOldeStoneCat said I won't actually be losing anything since it is transferable, and even if it wasn't.

HiTech_boy, I am aware of V3 and am anxiously waiting for it, like the rest of us I'm sure. I didn't mean any disrespect when I said that you may have been wrong, in fact I did forget you were a reseller yourself for a moment. I was simply stating what the two I contacted and ESET themselves said..

Any idea why they wouldn't want to do it? They both somewhat denied it and in fact grew somewhat agitated (it seemed) by the very suggestion of it. I certainly wish not to know any secrets or anything that may need to be kept, just simple curiosity on my part.

Appreciate all the help

psych1610

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No worries ;)

We can only guess ... :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.