question about latest rollback rx

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by taleblou, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

Can anyone with rollback-rx check or knows if it still opens remote registry and remote connection who knows to whom? Early last year when I use it I saw that the remote registry services and remote connection which have been disabled became active and was unable to disable it permanently. It always restarted after reboot.

Thats the reason I quit using rollback-rx and used CTM which does not open and remote connection or remote registry services. But now since CTM beta is the only one that worked on my pc takes very long time for snapshot loading, was wondering if the new rollback-rx versions have changed the remote registry service changing and stops remote connection or not?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

It does that too? :eek: Dear Lord, it must be part of their paranoid anti-piracy scheme... I only knew about the fact that it tries to phone home at every boot, before you enter Windows, so that a firewall won't stop it. I didn't know it auto-enables remote connections too...

I 've uninstalled it now, because it gave me VolMgr errors in EventViewer and messed up with the pagefile.

3. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Rename the file client.dll into client.dll.OLD and reboot, then you'll be able to disable Remote Desktop in advanced system settings and the change will stick. This file is only needed for RX Client/Server functionality, it is not needed on standalone RX and the file can be safely renamed. It is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Shield or C:\Program Files\Shield (depending on your Windows kernel).

Personally I find the constant registration check very irritating, I mean how many times does the thing needs to check?? If you have already registered the program and want to stop this constant startup check which the firewall can't stop, the only solution is to always start Windows with your network adapters disabled. You can create shorcuts for your Network and Wireless adapters on the desktop and right-click on them to disable the adapters before turning the machine off, then RX won't be able to connect on the next reboot. After the PC restarts you just right-click the shorcuts to re-enable the adapters. Or you can create simple batch files to automate the process. The syntax:

@echo off

netsh interface set interface "Local Area Connection" DISABLED

netsh interface set interface "Wireless Network Connection" DISABLED

If you want to disable them and reboot add this line too:

%windir%\System32\Shutdown.exe -r -t 00

To disable them and shut down add this line instead:

%windir%\System32\Shutdown.exe -s -t 00

After you restart you can have another batch file to easily re-enable your adapters. The syntax:

@echo off

netsh interface set interface "Local Area Connection" ENABLED

netsh interface set interface "Wireless Network Connection" ENABLED

Just make sure that the connection names in the batch files are the same as the ones on your actual adapters (sometimes they may be called "Local Area Connection 2" etc). Of course if your computer has no wireless adapter, just skip the appropriate line.

Personally I find RX a lifesaver for software testing and it is well worth the trouble of having to use those batch files in order to force the program not to call home every single time. I have let it register itself online when I first bought it and it did so without problems, but I find it ridiculous when it keeps checking again and again. When it comes to system safety I'm paranoid anyway, so having my adapters disabled and only enabling them on demand suits me just fine anyway. It is safer this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.