Question about Kerio 2.1.5 and Networking

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by FireDancer, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireDancer

FireDancer Registered Member

Hello All,

I have 4 pc's in the home all sharing high speed internet through a gateway, two of my pc's are networked to share files and a printer. I want to be as secure as possible and am running a firewall but I am not sure if I should use the machines actual IP, a custom address, or a mask.

Both pc's are seeing each other with the files that are shared and the printer is running off both pc's . I am not sure if I am setting it up right in the firewall. I would appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

What type of rule would I make for 135-139? Are there any other ports I need to be concerned with for networking?

Thanks in advance,
    FIREDANCER o_O

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are you using a router? Using a router provides an ip to the outside world.
    You can do what you want behind the router as far as your network.

3. Diver

Diver Registered Member

With Kerio 2.15 you can either use the Microsoft networking wizard plus a rule to allow TCP on port 135 (which makes things more responsive), or you can turn off the wizard and set up a rule that allows all traffic both directions with the lan range as your remote address. It does not seem to work right for me unless I use the mask 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0, but your router might be slightly different. Look at the BlitzenZeus rules over at the DSLR Kerio forum. It is the rule named Lan Range Bypass.

I was using Kerio 2.15 behind a router on a small network here for a while. Actually , depending on the router is reasonable provided that you have no forwarded ports, and you are not using AOL or anything else that tunnels. I cant give you a technical explanation for those exceptions, but I have seen several write ups that reach that conclusion.

4. FireDancer

FireDancer Registered Member

Thanks for the responces guys, yes I am behind a router and have no fowarding set up at this time. I guess I will set it up to use the wizard with the network mask. No AOL or any thing that tunnels either so I should be good to go.

FireDancer