Question about GoodSync Backup and Sync.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by billwv, Dec 3, 2015.

1. billwv

billwv Registered Member

Hi all,

I am considering GoodSync for backing up folders to a flash and/or ext. drive.

I have reviewed the manual and some reviews, and think I understand how to do the backup as a one way left to right sync.

I may be missing the obvious, but I have one question.

How do I restore from the backup?

For example:

1. Create backup to ext drive as one way sync.
    2. Hard Disk fails.
    3. Replace Hard Disk.
    4. Restore from Disk Image one month old.
    5. Now, what is best way to restore data from backup on ext. drive?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

If you set up your GoodSync (GS) similar to the way I set mine up (no encryption or compression), the file structures are pretty much the same as on my PC or external drives. So, if you are mirroring your Documents folder on your PC to another drive, you'd set GS the same way.

Then, if you're ready to copy things back, just select everything under the key folder on your backup and copy it all back. IOW, you do not need GS to restore.

But if you used encryption or compression, you need to restore using GS. Going from Left to Right encrypts or compresses, going from Right to Left unencrypts or uncompresses. As I noted, I have never used encryption or compression. So I have no experience going Right to Left for restores.

GoodSync Online Manual
    http://www.goodsync.com/manual

3. billwv

billwv Registered Member

Thanks HAN,

Thanks for your reply. I have been experimenting with GS and see it is very flexible. I realize, as you point out, there are options to restore both with and without GS.

I am impressed with GS and will purchase.

Thanks, again,

Bill

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.