question about email

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by jayt, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayt

jayt Registered Member

In the previous version of Nod32 (before 2.12.2) when I received an email there was a notification at the bottom of the email--for example
    Nod32 1.806 (20040707) information_______
    This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
    http://www.nod32.com

In the new version I receive no such notification. I have the Imon module set up to enable email checking. Ports used by Pop 3 - 110. Append tag messages to email - all email is checked. Modify the subject of infected email with the string -checked. And the Compatibility setup is set to maximum efficiencey. Am I missing something?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  2. Proud User

Proud User Registered Member

Weird stuff actually but try this out: send yourself an e-mail with an attachment and see if IMON scans it, if it does, then we can discard problems with port setup.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you see the number of scanned files in the IMON status window count up with every email received?

4. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Marcos, no it lists the number of pages scanned by HTTP but does not add any for scanning email. That is why I am concerned about whether or not it is actually scanning the email. Actually when I opened IMON it showed that I had last accessed Wilderssecurity.com. The number listed was 1474. I sent my self 4 emails. The number did not change. (Two of them were with attachments). I signed in, clicked on Reply to Thread, and the number changed to 1484. I returned to the main page to check out what you had said returned to the message page and the number had changed to 14124. I returned to this page to write the message and the number changed to 14129. But sending and receiving emails does not add any number to files checked.

MMM, or maybe it does. I just sent myself another email. Nothing changed. Then before sending this I checked it again and the number listed was l4130.(Maybe it was scanning the emails in the sent and deleted folders?--that would account for the jump from 1474 to 14129?) Is it really that slow to show up? Also, what about the problem of not putting the tag on the email saying it was scanned by Nod32. Doesn't it do that anymore?
    Nope, wasn't scanning emails in sent and deleted folders. I deleted all of them. Just checked again after sending this and the number is 14136. Weird.

Actually, I guess it was just checking HTTP pages--but it is NOT checking emails. :'(

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  5. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi jayt
    I decided to check, as I had mine set to "no notification" in IMON ->setup->append Tag.
    I changed it to "all email" then went to yahoo and msn and sent emails to my normal ISP email address. It DID append the message that the email was checked by NOD.
    As NOD only checks "incoming" mail, the "tag" will not be on the "outgoing" mail.
    Try the above and see if you get the tag.
    Cheers :)

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Jayt,
    try sending the eicar test file (www.nod32.com/eicar.com) to yourself and see if IMON springs into action. Before you download it, turn off AMON and IMON and enable them after you send the message.

7. jayt

jayt Registered Member

To Marcos and everyone who offered suggestions. It was my stupidity. It was not Nod32's fault. I had a copy of EZ Trust AV on my computer as well as Nod32. EZ Trust was not active, but was there just as a backup in case of need to do another scan to be very throrough. However, when I downloaded the eicar file, EZ av caught it--had IMON and AMON deactivated per Marcos instruction. The EZ av also scans emails. I guess that is what had caused the problem in Nod32.
    After uninstalling EZ av, Nod32 now scans emails and places the proper tag on the email.
    Again, thanks to everyone for their help, but especially to Marcos. :D

One final question. In scanning email, it shows that 2 files have been scanned. When only one email has been received? Why?

8. jayt

jayt Registered Member

According to Bandicoot.

So maybe I wasn't so stupid after all.

But I still have no answer to question about why email shows being checked two times by IMON.

:mad:

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Jayt

This has subject has come up in this forum before. I haven't found the thread yet.

What mail program are you using? Are you using any spam filtering programs? Any proxies?

10. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello jayt,

If you by chance use Benign (B9) from Firetrust to filter your mails, it will cause NOD32 to scan them twice.

11. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Ronjor, I am using OE 6 with Service Pack 1 with all the updates. I am not using any filters or proxies. The tag is now appended to emails (I unchecked List all files in the scanner setting of IMON.) But the email is still checked 2 times.
    Puff-M-D I use Mailwasher from Firetrust, but it does not filter emails unless it is run manually.

Thanks guys for taking time to respond. :)

12. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi jayt,

I use MailWasher and NOD32 without any problems. I am a loss. Maybe someone else has an idea and can help you.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Jayt

I did some searching. This program mentions Nod scanning email twice under certain conditions.

spampal

14. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Thanks guys. Maybe I am confused or something. Actuallly I don't get two tags on emails. What happens is that IMON reports 2 activities when I send and receive one email. For example, if I open IMON it reports that 7157 files have been scanned. When I send and receive one email, IMON reports that 7159 files have been scanned. Is this correct?

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I suppose it could be correct. I guess it depends on the email. Attachments, etc.

I'll check mine to see if it does the same.

16. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Correct, it is normal for Nod32 to report this way...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

17. jayt

jayt Registered Member

:rolleyes: :eek: :D :) ;) :p

Thanks to everyone. Everything seems to be working normally now. I hate to be such a perfectionist, but what can I say it is my nature.

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Good to hear jayt! :)

19. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Good to see :D

Nothing wrong with that… As I have said before; ask away, as many questions as you like, better that way than sitting in the dark somewhere, only to find there is a light switch above your head that you could have turned on... had you known about it… ;) :D

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.