question about anti-keylogger method

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I remember reading that one way to defend against keyloggers is to type a credential (password, credit card number, etc) that originally is just a made up string of numbers, letters and/or symbols then delete them; then type another made up string and delete again; then type in the real values or characters. From what I read this is one way to prevent a keylogger from capturing the correct info. Has there been any tests on the effectiveness of this method?

thanks

2. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

It doesn't work with the Spyshelter test and even if it did work with other keyloggers then it would only be effective against keyboard loggers. It would be totally ineffective against all the form-grabbing malware out there such as Zeus and Spyeye.

3. sun88

sun88 Registered Member

Instead of deleting them, which uses the keyboard, highlight them with the mouse, and then they will be replaced. If the input field is masked, I'm not sure if the "form grabbing" malware would be successful or not. This method might also be improved by using a virtual keyboard.

4. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Form grabbing or more correctly Man-in-the-browser would still be successful for both of these.

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

thanks for the info everyone- I was just wondering about it.

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

PrevxHelp has posted before that Prevx PSOL can block MITB attacks. I would ask in their forums on here to confirm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.