QTweb -- ever try it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Sully, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have been using QTWeb more and more lately. I have no idea of how secure it is. I do know that I personally find it to be the "fastest browser on earth ... on my machine ... on most websites".

Seriously though, I use mainly Kmeleon and Opera. If I find a site I visit reguarly seems slow on KM, I used to open it in Opera. Opera did seem to be a tad faster than KM normally. But lately, in say the past 3 weeks, I have been opening sluggish websites in KM, Opera and QT. Now my naked eye may not be a good replacement for a stopwatch, but it sure seems QT is faster than either KM or Opera.

Not that QT is really that great of a browser, as it is kind of slim. But, I sort of like the throwback browsesr simply being browsers, which is why I like Kmeleon and don't take to Opera like I used to.

BTW, this is not the type of thread where I am baiting anyone into a debate of which browser is best. I just wanted to hear if anyone else has used QT much and what they thought, no more, no less ;)

Sul.

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I used it occasionally but uninstalled it.
    It was stable. Slow load time and not remembering passwords on some sites are the main reasons that I got rid of it.

It was on o.k. browser but I really don't miss it.
    CometBird(FireFox clone)and Chrome are more my taste.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I might try it. Hope it's not **** like the couple Safari versions I tried.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

QTWeb uses the same Chromium engine as Chrome but doesn't update to the latest Chromium build as often as is the case for Chrome, Chrome+, or Iron.

I like QTWeb as a *future prospect*. I do not presently use it but I regularly monitor its website for updates.

Like you, my main browser is Kmeleon. The current Kmel 1.6 beta is waaay faster than Kmel's 1.5.4 current version. The beta is very stable on my computer -- your mileage may vary, of course.

By the way, to increase the security of Kmel, you might try Kmel's extension "Policy Manager" -- downloadable from HERE. There are a couple of other good extensions for security at that same site.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Good job I read the readers comments here on this review or I wouldn't perhaps have downloaded K-Meleon for a try out this weekend.

Yet another case of the comments on an article giving more valid info on the subject than the reviewer did.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/356371/k-meleon

6. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I respect the view of that magazine reviewer and also respectfully disagree with his review. He only saw a stone that I see a gem with K-Meleon.:p

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Okay having a little try here of K-Meleon. Like any other 'new to a user' browser it takes a bit of working out!!

Took a little while to figure out how to get my favourite websites on the bar edited to just a word or two. :D

Will keep it on this weekend to see how I go on. Miss my opera spellchecker!

(Sorry Sully for going off-topic)

Attached Files:

• popo.JPG
      popo.JPG
      File size:
      120.4 KB
      Views:
  8. the Tester

QTWeb uses Chromium's engine?
    Chromium is related to Apple's WebKit?

9. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

QTweb portable is my favorite portable version. I like its layout better than Chromium. It's not sandboxed like the Chromium browsers so it will run on my Vista machine with Lucy's SRP reg tweak where the chromium browsers wont.
    As far as speed, it is fast. But since I'm on satellite with an average of 1600ms lag my tweaked Firefox is a little faster. It's a toss up between Opera and QTweb for my second favorite browser.

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Yes & Yes

Browsers using WebKit include but are not necessarily limited to: ABrowse, Arora, Web Browser for Android (mobile device platform), BOLT, Google Chrome, Chrome+, Epiphany (web browser), iCab (version 4 uses WebKit whereas earlier versions used its own rendering engine), Iris Browser, Konqueror (version 4 can use WebKit as an alternative to its native KHTML), Midori (you gotta give this one a spin!!!), OmniWeb, OWB, QTWeb, Safari, Shiira, Sputnik for MorphOS (based on S60 WebCore), SRWare Iron, Stainless, TeaShark, Uzbl, Web Browser for S60 -- used in all Nokia Symbian smartphones, WebOS used in the Palm Pre mobile

Of equal importance to a browsers speed is the ECMA rendering engine that it uses. ECMAScript is a scripting language. Its best-known dialects are JavaScript, ActionScript, and JScript. When browser speeds are compared the outcome often depends on what KIND of web page is being used for the comparison. If it is a page with LOTS of ECMA, then the race is mainly between ECMA rendering engines of the various browser. If the test page has little or no ECMA, then the race is between the main engines of the various browsers.

Here is a somewhat outdated table from HERE which identifies main engines & ECMA rendering engines of various browsers:
    ScrHunt01 10-Apr-10.gif

If you want more detailed & recent info on ECMA engines, goto HERE

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  11. the Tester

Thanks Bellgamin.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

So far I'm liking this better than Midori. Not as many crashes & plays more video sites. So QTW has replaced it. But as with Midori I've having trouble importing my Bookmarks from either Opera (can't find where to point it with Vista64 wonderful paths & permissions :( ). And with FF QTWeb just imports the Moz found. links. Then choosing between Menu & Bar I find a pita.

13. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have checked it out, and it looks like crap to me, it doesn´t have the features I want to see in a browser. Also, I have to say that I´ve now checked out 3 browsers with the WebKit engine, namely, Chrome, Maxthon v3 and QTweb, and it seems to me that the engine is kinda crappy, it´s not nearly as fast as Opera when it comes to page loading, and navigating back/forward. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.