PVR and bad sectors?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by beethoven, Jun 20, 2015.

1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I bought a relatively cheap PVR a while ago to record programs from TV to watch at a later time. While the item is fine in principle, I do encounter issues with skipping during some recordings. Thinking this type of device is basically a harddrive, I am wondering if bad clusters are to blame. If you watched a movie and this happens midway in the plot, it gets annoying.

Is there anything that can be done to fix the problem? If this is not possible, how should I treat these "spots" on the drive that have problems? Should I delete the programs or rather keep the recording, so that this bad spot will not be used for future recordings?

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I doubt it is bad spots on the drive because the drive should not be using those spots. It is more likely these are interruptions in the streaming to the PVR, not from it.

3. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Thanks Bill - I do have some issues with the antenna but usually the experience then is different. You get the normal dropouts or some pixelation but in the case of the PVR, it seems that the recording actually "gets stuck" or the sound is disconnected from the video. So you can hear the cops talking about something but the scene is still from 2 minutes before and sometimes just freezes.

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Yeah, but it is hard to tell what is happening unless you are watching it live at the same time, then go back, and view the DVR and see if the problem is there too.

If you can gain access to OS, you can run a disk analysis on the drive. Alternatively, you may need to pull the drive and install it into an enclosure attached to your computer, or as a secondary drive in your computer, then run chkdsk /r on it, or the disk diagnostics from the disk maker's website.

FTR - I have cable TV and a DVR on my cable box. I also have a Roku streamer connected to my network for Netflix, Pandora, etc. streaming. And I occasionally see/hear similar problems with all of them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.