PureVPN offering Content Filter and Antivirus?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Krusty, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

https://www.purevpn.com/

Since when? No-one told me about this. I expect it is a premium service which will not be covered by my subscription.

Yeah, I know many people don't like PureVPN and that is not the point of this thread. That has been mentioned plenty of times elsewhere in these forum pages.

Thanks.

Edit:
    • Every subscription plan includes PureVPN’s Content Filtering features without any extra cost.
    • Every subscription plan includes PureVPN’s Antivirus features without any extra cost.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

OK, so does that mean that they MitM TLS? Because if they don't, they can't touch HTTPS content. And their antivirus protection can't prevent downloading, just unpacking and execution.

It's a bad combination, in my opinion. You want your VPN to just route traffic. And you certainly don't want it to MitM TLS.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I have no idea. Maybe ask them? ;)

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

You can check which certificate is used on https webpages.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Here's the certificate for these forums while connected to PureVPN.

I hope it doesn't contain any personal information but if it does @Mods please feel free to edit or remove.

Attached Files:

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I got same certificate showing for this site, so they probably don't scan content of https traffic.

7. mirimir

You want to look in Authorities, I think.

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I don't see Authorities in FF / CF, nor Chrome. Where would I look?

9. mirimir

Preferences > Advanced > View Certificates > Authorities tab

But I was wrong, I think.

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/2914/can-my-company-see-what-https-sites-i-went-to

Edit: That is, if your browser is using a genuine certificate, rather than one generated on the fly by some MitM process, you know that there's no MitM going on. And that's what @Krusty and @Minimalist reported. And it's the same one that I have. But the hard part is verifying that you have the right certificate, in general. Without some trusted community where you can compare certificates.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  10. focus

focus Registered Member

NordVPN has something similar called CyberSec. Described as "Avoid ads and protect your security from malware, phishing and other threats". Optional. Off on my PC but on a tablet? Maybe.

11. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Couldn't agree more. And this is just a microcosm of a belief I hold. Any app should do only what it is primarily designed to do... no adding modules/etc... that other apps are better/primarily designed to do. Which exception to Comodo FW/D+ since D+ is an excellent HIPS.
    An AV should be packet filtering and nothing else. Screw these other "shields" and stuff of the sort. I'm really liking MBAM Paid v2 right now. It's like that. Just a resident file scanner and web scanner too, which I disable. Light and to the point. I use it on my Win7 machine.

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

My Windows client wasn't finding any updates but I manually downloaded the latest PureVPN software (5.19.5.0) and it now includes:
    • Antivirus
    • Content Flitering
    • IDS/IPS
    • URL Filtering
    • App Filtering
    All of which were disabled by default.

I'm not suggesting any of these features should be included with your VPN, just that they are now with PureVPN.

13. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Absolutely.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.