Puran Utilities

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sm1, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

LOLOL! Thanks for the good laugh. :argh: :thumb: I admit, it is hilarious to read at Wilders "i keep it to know the experience". :D

Anyway, back the program.

Ok, most of the utilities isn't anything "amazing", but, for a basic maintenance package especially for people who don't know many other utilities, it's a good starting point and it's free (and spyware-adware free... for now at least).

What i tested:

1) Puran defrag. Obviously the gem of the package. A good choice. I usually run an old version of Auslogics. I had degragged with Auslogics and Puran at boot, started from 99% defragmentation (Auslogics had done the job), so it basically only optimized. Auslogics had 3 MFT fragments, Puran made them 2. Other than that, it then "optimized" things. No performance change noted. It comes to confirm, that most defraggers have little to add if you already have another working. The rest is placebo.

Anyway, if you don't have another defragger, Puran is excellent.

2) Every single application launched wants to connect outbound. Mercy, i am tired to clicking "disable" in my firewall. There is a "check for updates" button, if want to, i will click. No need to torture me everytime i open a new application.

3) Registry Cleaner. I will keep it. After running Argente, it still found over 150 entries. I don't know if they were all "safe" to clean, but at least i could still boot to Windows and some of them were from AVG that i had uninstalled and Argente missed. I will keep it until i find a reason not to. The bad part is the few info about each entry (there are better descriptions in other programs).

4) Registry Defrag. Something is wrong probably? I normally use "Free Registry Defrag" from here http://www.registry-clean.net/free-registry-defrag.htm

I scan with FRD: It says "Registry can be compacted with 26% gain". I scan with Puran, it says "25% gain". I think "they agree, good!". I decide to use Puran. Reboots. I scan with FRD and disaster! It comes with something like 7140%. So i defrag with it. Reboot. Scan with Puran, and says that there can be 0% gain. SO FRD, even by Puran's standards did the job. While FRD didn't think the same about Puran.

5) Startup Manager. Fails to show the name of one executable (see attachment). Other than that, in absence of anything better (like Autoruns or even WinPatrol), it's good to have.

6) Instead of data recovery, i would have prefered a file recovery utility.

7) Shutdown Timer. Good, i will keep it.

[noparse]:cool:[/noparse] Delete History. Good, if you haven't heard about CCleaner. The bad thing with such a utility inside a "package", is that it is not as immediate to use. For example, i have Ccleaner on my taskbar. One click and it's up and running. With Puran, you have to open the utility inside the main GUI. Too complicated for such a type of program. Only people who sparingly clean their PC would use it.

9) Service Manager. It's good for people who don't know how to access the same list in Windows. I would have found it useful if you could export and import a certain configuration. When i re-install windows, i disable some services. It would be nice to be able to launch Puran, import a configuration and have all the services that i want disabled in 1 second. The way it is now, it's nothing special...

10) Permanent delete-Wipe Disk. Good for people who haven't heard of Eraser.

11) Splitter. I guess it can come handy, didn't try it.

12) Uninstaller. I guess, someone, some day, may need the "Force Uninstall"? Other than that, one can use directly Windows' uninstaller. Or Revo...

Overall, it's a good collection of utilities, most of which is newbie-oriented. Most of them aren't anything spectacular, but, having them concentrated can be of help.

Wilders forum isn't full of newbies, hence the harsh criticism. For someone who isn't familiar with utilities and wants to do basic things, it's a good starting point and some of the applications are useful even to power users.

I will keep as single applications:
    - Registry Cleaner
    - Shutdown Timer

I 'd keep the Defrag too, but Auslogics does the same without adding a new service and soon i am getting an SSD , so goodbye defragging on the system disk. For data disks, Auslogics is fine.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      2.7 KB
      Views:
  2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

yup the xfast and bablyon toolbar have made me remove all puran products now. i like the defrag but dont like the ideals. back to the tried and true perfectdisk i guess. after looking for a smaller and lower resource alternative ive found issues with most of them either they lack something i really want they perform poorly or are bundled with garbage or never get updated. perfectdisk is not perfect either but i just dont have issues with it other than it uses a bit higher resources.

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I just found a reason not to keep it! It eliminated the speech out of a game i have! :eek: After restoring the registry (thank God it had saved it), i got the speech back.

Only keeping the defragger and Shutdown Timer.

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Spyware is bundled with this program.
    Relevant knowledge=spyware.
    Babylon toolbar=adware.

What a load of crap and i wont be installing.!:ninja:

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I don't have any reason to believe a 3rd party opt out will be honored. And even if it were, I have no desire to have software on my computer from a company that associates itself with companies like those mentioned in this thread. My Puran defrag was one of my favorites but now it will be introduced to my Revo uninstaller.

7. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

+1:thumb: Excellent post.I could not have phrased that any better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.