Puran Defrag Free Version 7.3

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by cgeek, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

Turned on system restore and created a couple of restore points. Did a boot time defrag with Puran and after a reboot, the system restore files cannot be read anymore. Funny thing is the snapshots are still on the disk, just inaccessible.

So basically doing boot defrags on a system restore enabled machine shouldn't be done. How come the developers do not disable this by default if their software detects system restore is enabled or at least give a popup warning about the hazards of doing a boot defrag when system restore is on? o_O

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

not all will do this. some defraggers have the ability to run in a vss safe mode, most of them do have this issue though

3. Groovy T

Groovy T Registered Member

Hello,
    I've recently installed Puran 7.3 on two of my computers and made a boot time defrag. On the analysis it told me that my pagefile was in 1 fragment, my registry in 3 and MFT in 2.
    After the defrag it indicated that my pagefile and registry were in 1 fragment (very good) but my MFT fragmentation increase to 3 fragments (and this on my two computers). I retry a boot defrag but Puran was unable to make my MFT in 1 fragment.

So my question: Is this a normal behavior ? Do you have same results with MFT fragmentation ?

Thanks

4. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

Any suggestions as to which ones can handle system restore points?

5. zfactor

well there are a few out there but i personally use perfectdisk and if you look in the settings it has a vss mode to minimize loss of restore points. this is the default setting after installation

6. ESS474

ESS474 Registered Member

7. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

Don't use PIOZR when running boot-defrag it will erase your restore points. It's recommended at least once a month. For instant system restore point upon restart see HERE

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

9. zfactor

depends i dont use system restore. this is only important for those that do. if you dont use system restore than i recc using it on boot time at least once a month or so.. imo its not as effective using it during a windows defrag and i have seen actually worse results using it to often. puran is THE BEST imo free defrag program around

10. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Auslogics, but it lacks Boot-Time Defrag.
    Exactly! :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.