Puppy Linux 5.4 "Precise" released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

3. Fully compatible as in "You can apt-get stuff like on a normal Ubuntu install?" Or as in "You can access the Ubuntu repos with Puppy's package manager, and it might work or it might not?"

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

You can enable Ubuntu and third party repositories and install from them in Puppy. They are fully compatible like you would have in Ubuntu.

5. Not what I meant. Last Ubuntu-based version of Puppy did not have apt-get; and while Pupget or whatever it was called could install software from the Ubuntu repos, as far as I could tell it could not update the software, which seemed to lead to problems in some cases. Furthermore, doing a "full" install ended in an unpleasant message to the effect that I must immediately reinstall a lengthy list of packages after rebooting.

I'm wondering if (and hoping that) the situation has improved since then. I love the concept of a distro that can run on almost anything, even if I don't care for the childish dog affectations. But what I saw of "Lucid Puppy" was pretty much a jumbled mess.

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Just 158 MB!
    Ideal for Banking! :thumb:

7. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I installed Puppy Linux 5.4 "Precise" on my bootable USB Flash Drive (made with YUMI) and it works great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.