Puppy Linux 4.1 - Absolutely Stunning!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I have puppy on an old, really old laptop. One thing i find problematic is the browser. It can crash often.
    Did you try the browser with many tabs Mrk? Perhaps it's my computer that is so old :p

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Tried some 5-6 tabs, didn't go higher. I'll try more...

Terry, usb modems are a pain in general. My father has one such on XP and he must restart it every time he disconnects from the web, because it refuses to drop connections etc.

Good hardware is a start for painless experience.

Now, as to configuring your modem, I'll do a bit of research and see if anything smart comes up.

Mrk

3. Mrkvonic

4. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Terry believe me when I tell you that I completely understand your frustation. many people tried to help me with using Linux and my speedtouch 330 modem provided by my ISP, they failed. There were highly technical ways to do it but even the linux experts said it was too difficult...get a router.

Well Terry, I recently gave in, and am so glad I did. Go for one, there's plenty of help to set them up which would be given here I am sure. You don't need to use your ISP's you can buy a fairly good Netgear or similar for a reasonable price.

Go for it Terry, you'll like using a live cd and trying things out, especially this playful Puppy (or ubuntu)

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

That would be enough here. Maybe it's lack of RAM.

6. Mrkvonic

I tested with 512MB? Your setup?
    Mrk

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

~64 i think :D

8. Mrkvonic

Aha! That figures ...
    Mrk

9. crash79`

crash79` Registered Member

Could someone help me, in simple terms, how to get tabbed browsing working in Linux Puppy 4.1. SeaMonkey is 1.1.11. I can download 1.1.12 but I don't have a clue how to install it.
    Many Thanks,
    John

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Tabbed browsing should work straight out of the box, the version of seamonkey that comes with 4.1 supports tabbed browsing.
    The easiest way to update seamonkey is using petget the puppy package manager.

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Mouth-watering alternative for wife's not so powerful laptop, and thanks Mrkvonic.
    On their site following statement concerning root.
    Unlike Ubuntu in other words. I suppose permissions need to be set carefully?
    How safe is Puppy if not run from a CD ?

12. Mrkvonic

Running as root can be troublesome if you do troublesome stuff.

But in general, there should be no problems. Contracting bad stuff in Linux is more difficult if you work with official repositories. If you trust a package, you'll install it, and if needed, provide the root password, so the root separation is a great tool against passive attacks and such - not against the system owner.

As to other types of threats, firewall, a good browser and frequent update policy, and you're set.

Mrk

13. tsec

tsec Registered Member

Uh-oh...

I think I have just been re-bitten by the linux bug (or in this case, small dog... :) )

14. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I couldn't burn puppy on a CD-R (tried 4 CDs!), but it burned just fine on a DVD-R!

I used powerISO v4.3, what is to blame?
    The whole CD-R package, the DVD RW drive, the ISO file or powerISO?

PS: powerISO said for CDs -> writing intermediate memory.. ERROR bad sector 0X0000.. sth

15. raakii

raakii Registered Member

I like the puppy too!!!

16. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Puppy rocks. A few days ago i used it to delete an undeletable Folder in Windows. Its sweet :) nice light and fast. What else can you ask for? Best distro imo.

17. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

This Pup IS absolutely Stunning! Installed (to separate small partition) with WinXPP SP3

The Wireless (infamous) Atheros 5007EG will not work in Ubuntu or Puppy; running Fedora 10 off the LiveCD, had instant wifi access....

Need some help, please.

18. Mrkvonic

Hi chazz,
    If you type ifconfig in terminal, what do you get. And second time, if you type ifconfig -a, what do you get. Does it even show the wireless adapter?
    Mrk

19. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I have an old HP Pavilion with a 366MHZ Celeron and 160MB RAM. Will this release of Puppy run reasonably well on it?

20. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Yes, it should bring new life to that PC. Make sure you get the version with the older kernel (puppy-4.1.2retro-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso (94.6MB) .

21. noone_particular

Thanks for mentioning the older kernel version. I didn't see that and was ready to install the standard version.

22. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

I think it doesn't recognize that particular model wireless card...

Attached Files:

23. noone_particular

This version of Puppy Linux is one of only 2 live CDs that worked properly with my hardware. Good display, sound, reads all of my drives. The setup for testing different screen resolutions and refresh rates during startup made it easy to get the disply right. Getting internet access was easy. Finding SeaMonkey as the default browser just made my day and convinced me that I want to install Puppy.

Knoppix 3.7 is the only other live CD that worked properly on my hardware. I made a "poor mans install" of Knoppix on a Windows partition following the instructions from their Wiki. Details here. I'd like to keep Knoppix if I can. My linux knowledge is very limited. It surprised me how different Knoppix and Puppy are, enough that I don't know if what I want to set up is workable. I have a permanent linux swapfile for Knoppix on hdd5, which I'm hoping Puppy will be able to use. The extended partition of hda contains 2 logical drives, formatted ext2. I'd like to install Puppy on hda6, which I've been saving for the right Linux version. Hda5 serves as a home directory for Knoppix and stores its configuration files. Can Puppy share this home directory with Knoppix?

The Win Partition install of Knoppix uses a patched Grub bootloader. Both of these are on hda1 along with Win98SE. Can I install Puppy, set it to use this bootloader, and not have it try to install another?

I apologize for having so many setup questions. It took a lot of time and work to get my present partitioning to where it is. I'm using 4 hard drives, 3 internal, 1 external. Counting Puppy, there will be 5 operating systems and 12 partitions/logical drives, 2 of which are encrypted. I don't want to mess it up and have to rebuild it.

24. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

25. Mrkvonic

chazz, your ifconfig shows that eth0 is recognized, but it is not running. However, if you have additional network adapters, they are not recognized, meaning their modules (drivers) are not loaded. You'll have to load drivers for them. At least try - or use a similar/equivalent driver. That might help.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.