[Public Beta] Returnil Virtual System 2008

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Coldmoon, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Easter,
    I wouldn't look at either method in that way, rather I would look at how each applies best to my current needs.

For when there is no need for saving content or only saving what could easily be saved within the VP or alternate partition, then I would suggest that Memory cache would be the better choice. As this does not allow changes to the System Partition when using the System Protection.

Using the Disk cache method implies that you require the flexibility to make selective changes. This flexibility does however introduce the potential for the user to commit questionable content so you must be more aware of what you are doing and why you are doing it...

Mike

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I accept method #1 first remarked on and thought as much but you now confirm it unequivacally. Evidently some/any form of unwanted material would possibly be retained to system although contained thru method #2 and so though the differences vary, this confirmation narrows my own choice to rely on #1 to better avert that possibility no matter how remote.

Grateful for this brief yet useful and accurate assessment between the two.

EASTER

3. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Coldmoon I have been using the free Returnil 1.7 . I have been following the development of the BETA and have a question. I am quite happy with the way 1.7 works. I like to be able to go into protection then reboot to get out. I don't try to save anything while protected. It would be great if reboot wasn't required to clear the system. Now my question. What would I gain with the 2008 BETA ?

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I doubt that is possible due to the limitations of windows or returnil would probably have it. It would be possible on linux because the kernel can be shutdown with shutting off the processor but windows cannot turn its kernel off and on without a processor restart.

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

whats wrong in this case with shutdown/boot it takes only a few min. To have to clean memory, at the moment its the only way, it is a small inconvenience in trading for a fresh slate. So i don't bother.

6. WilliamP

Thanks guys. My question still remains. What would I gain with the BETA 2008?

7. Tony

Tony Registered Member

Happy birthday Coldmoon.
    Hope you have a nice day :thumb:

8. Coldmoon

Hello WilliamP.
    Sorry for the late reply on your question. There have been some significant upgrades to the program that provide better protection, correct issues some users experienced with the 1.7x series, and hardening of the program preferences.

But it is also a Beta which is extremely stable but is obviously not a release version. So the choice for now should be one of need or evaluation. In the first, you would be upgrading to solve an issue. In the second you are interested in trying what is new with the program or researching how those changes may effect your envirnment if you were to choose RVS for inclusion in your line up.

Mike

9. WilliamP

Thank you Mike. Is a special license needed to run the program? What is the added protection?

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Has any tentative date been seriously considered or looked at for the release of RETURNIL 2008 and also i assume the free version also will be available in the 2008 version as well?

Thanks EASTER

11. Coldmoon

New Build Available

Returnil Virtual System 2008 Premium Edition

Build 2.0.0.4106

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Returnil_Virtual_System_2008_Premium_Edition_Beta_d5841.html

Updated

* Spanish language support
    * Portuguese (traditional) Language support
    * Chinese-Traditional Language support
    * RVS 2.0 Help manual

Fixed

* Correction added to address "Device not ready" error on some systems using Windows Vista

Thank you to all who have sent in feedback

Kind Regards
    Mike

12. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

hi coldmoon

Returnil Virtual System 2008 work on vista 64 bit?

thanks

13. Coldmoon

No, RVS does not yet support X64 systems

Mike

14. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

thanks, any idea when will be support it?

15. Coldmoon

Hi mata7,
    There is no date set yet for this and I apologize for missing this earlier. We are working towards this but the current upgrades to the software were needed first.

Mike

16. Coldmoon

Hello everyone,

http://www.castlecops.com/t216791-Release_Returnil_Virtual_System_2008_Premium_Edition.html

The Beta testing phase for the Returnil Virtual System Edition 2008 V2.0 series is concluded. We expect to begin a new series as soon as we have completed the following:

1) All current license holders are notified of the upgrade availability via e-mail notice

2) The Returnil Virtual System Personal Edition 2008 is released following completion of step #1

Thank you to all testers who have sent in feedback during the testing. Those testers who provided the best feedback during the Public testing period are eligible for a one year subscription as our thanks for helping to improve The Returnil Virtual System.

To obtain your new SN, please use the contact US link below with subject "RVS 2.0 beta feedback award" and please include your name and e-mail address so we can verify your reports:

http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/contactus_tech.htm

Your efforts are greatly valued and we look forward to your feedback during future Public Beta release series.

Mike

17. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Thanks for a mighty fine app Coldmoon.:thumb:

Seems to be working fine here on XP, Vista and Server 2003 but as I have ram to spare I am running it using memory cache.

I also have a 2 gig XP VHD that I run off a 4 gig Sandisk USB and Returnil seems to speed things up quite a bit after assigning a gig of ram and using the mem cache.

Sorta like my own homemade Mojopak that I can run off any computer.

18. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Coldmoon

Congrats on the release. Now onward and upward.

Pete

19. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Stupid question but what does the Personal Edition (FREE) lack from the Premium (PAID)? Read post #6 but don't really understand clearly, the free version doesn't have commit, does that mean no file manager?

dja2k

20. Coldmoon

Hi dja2k,
    Yes, the File Manager will not be available in the Personal Edition.

Mike

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks Mike.

Looks really good, the new improvements are excellent additions. I still can't get over just how "lite" Returnil is for all it does. When this first was announced, some like myself held some reservations about it but any of those first concerns were quickly replaced for excitement.

It's nice to see a simplified program that can steady up great protection without dispensing itself all over users systems, such are the Good apps that hold a future.

Returnil is done just that.

And Thanks again Mike/ColdM00N for always addressing everyone's issues, questions, and especially going into detail when requested from you. It's always invaluable to receive open professional guidance when engaging a brand new program like this & especially a Virtual System! :thumb:

EASTER

22. osip

osip Registered Member

Just want to clear out...if you choose creation of virtual drive in the setup, from where does returnil take the space? From RAM ? Also, saw recommendation that it´s better to use other drives in compare to the virtual, any special reasons behind this ?
    Memory cache instead of disk cache, right if you don´t bother about file commit on system drive ? Files can always be saved to other drives/or the virtual...

23. Coldmoon

Ho osip,
    The Virtual Partition is created on the real Hard drive. This means that it will take the requisite space from the System Partition but it will be separate from the %s when mounted like any other data drive. When it is dismounted it is just a very large file that is inaccessible by anything other than RVS itself. The file however will be on the System Partition.

We suggest using alternate data partitions in case the user wants to install programs within it. For those programs to function properly, you may need to mount the drive with Windows. We assume that the user may not choose to always mount or need the VP. In fact, some users do not install it at all as they have alternate save locations or do not want anything saved regardless of who is using the software.

Having a second data specific drive eliminates the issue of carrying a large file when not required. Additionally, the VP can be recreated now when needed using the Repair feature in the uninstaller, so it potentially has a transient nature that would make a dedicated data partition more useful to a segment of our user base.

Yes, the Memory Cache method does not allow commit to disk and is meant to be the most secure configuration when you do not need or want to save content to the real HDD. You can however switch between the two methods when required and further, the Memory Cache is always there to provide protection in case there is corruption or tampering with the Disk Cache itself. This means that if the Disk Cache is deleted, removed, or corrupted by an unforseen occurance, you are still protected even if this happens while in System Protection Mode or Session Lock while using the Disk Cache method.

Mike

24. osip

osip Registered Member

Ok, thx for sorting that out...

you mean by the repair in the uninstaller ?

Also, using the free 1.7...and having a second physical drive, any reasons to upgrade to v.2 ? In the case of not needing VD and not using the commit feature (i.e memory cache only) ?

BTW...underlining appreciation of an outstanding product and your assistance...

osip

25. Coldmoon

Yes, you can use the uninstaller to switch between the two. RVS however will switch automatically if anything were to cause damage to the Disk Cache. This makes sure that System Protection cannot be disabled should anything happen to it for whatever reason.

The Premium Edition is designed to be flexible when you need it to be and not when you don't. Whether to purchase a license or not is your decision. I do however hope that I have provided enough information for you to make that decision...

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.