Proxy, VPN, Dynamic, Stable -- what the heck is my IP?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by bellgamin, May 30, 2021.

1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A couple of forums that I normally frequent have blocked me. Reason: they say I am using a proxy IP based on the following:

Proxy IP.png

I did & IP look-up & got the following:
    ScreenHunter_05 May. 29 21.36.gif
    My ISP (Spectrum) says that I have a regular IP, not a proxy.

Any comments? Anyone? Please? o_O

2. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

Dynamic IP means it may change - it isn't suspicious in itself. It is common for ISPs to manage IPv4 addresses that way.
    Probably IP ended on some kind of blocklist. Maybe try to restart router or do factory reset to change IP to another one?

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Strange. The whole point of running a VPN is so nobody can track what you're doing on the Internet and where you're from. If that can be detected, the VPN is compromised and worse than useless. Unacceptable!

4. imdb

imdb Registered Member

did you read op's message? he says he's not on a vpn, is using his isp's ip but got banned from a couple of forums on the grounds that he's using a proxy.

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Yes, I did. A VPN is a proxy and the point I wanted to make is compromised anonymity is a serious issue if forums are banning him for using one even though like you observed, he's just using his own ISP here.

6. imdb

imdb Registered Member

7. imdb

imdb Registered Member

ok.

8. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

My ISP started using it a couple of years ago. It has advantages and disadvantages. I have no problem with VOIP and my public IP is now a shared one which means I have a bit of anonymity at the local level. On the downside, I can't set up a vpn server from my home IP anymore. I actually had to do one for work with the same ISP. They had to give us a dedicated static IP and forward a couple of ports at their end. The cost was the same. If I upgrade my plan, I will get a dedicated IP as well as more bandwidth but I'm fine with things as they are. I was getting Google captchas now and then but my ISP sorted it out with Google so it doesn't look like I'm using a VPN when I'm not.

9. imdb

imdb Registered Member

i see. but sometimes forums might block users with cgn ip's. i've seen it happen to some friends a couple of times.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.