Proxy settings for Update DL through Firewall

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Mr David, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr David

Mr David Registered Member

Today I installed SpywareBlaster 3.1 but unfortunately did not have much luck with having SB connect to the remote server from which update information files are downloaded.

When I tried an error message appeared that said: !! Error connecting to update server - There was an error getting the update information file from the server. The server may be temporarily unavailable, or there may be a conflict with firewall software installed on your PC... and so on.

As it happens, I use Sygate Personal Firewall version 5.5. After reading through the various options within SB I am guessing that I need to set-up some sort of proxy access, however, I have not the foggiest idea of how to do this.

Can someone please help me?

Cheers,
    David.

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Mr David - Welcome to Wilders!

Under Updates - Options, try either the first or last options. The first time I updated SWB, I had to use the 'alternative method' to get past a similar error message.

3. Mr David

Mr David Registered Member

Hello Dangitall and thankyou for your reply.

After installing SB yesterday I tried getting SB to pick up the update info files with the first setting on the Updates> Options page selected. No connection to the server occurred and the error message popped up.

Of course, today is a brand new day and when I tried to do an update with the same setting selected it worked first time!

Positive comuter self repair experiences like this are so rare that I feel like hugging someone! Goodness me, a cloud with a silver lining - unbelievable.

By the way, SB is a very cool offering. I particularly appreciate its integration with and support of Mozilla and my newest darling Firefox 0.8. The interface is also well designed: simple, attractive and easy to use. I made a query over in the Firefox Support Forum and one of the respondants pointed me in SB's direction, so I have been fortunate twice over within the space of 24 hours.

Cheers,
    David.

4. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

You're more than welcome - especially where I did nothing! (Gracious of me, wouldn't you agree?!) Good luck and safe surfing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.