Protowall

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by HankPiano, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HankPiano

HankPiano Registered Member

Just a simple question: Protowall protects against bad IP-adresses, but is the program required when you use PGuard already?

2. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Hi Hankpiano.

I have both installed and running. PW basically blocks IP's that you download using Blocklist Manager also from bluetack.co.uk. The IP's are of websites/domains etc mainly related to privacy invasion,known distributors of viruses,trojans etc. which of course,PG can protect you from the installations of such malware,but it's best to just not visit these site in the first place.

I'm currently blocking 2984989556 IP's in 161765 ranges.

3. HankPiano

HankPiano Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. I asked the question because I'm interested in IP's which are, as you write: 'mainly related to privacy invasion', like some Americain services; they are said to break into your system to see if you are downloading movies or other 'illegal' stuff (illegal in America, not in Holland, for instance).

But then I thought PGuard will make it impossible to manipulate or install any program without my explicit approval so wouldn't it be to much to use PW along with PGuard. You write you use PW ánd PGuard. May I ask you why?

4. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Both run at kernel level,so only use resources when actively doing something. Don't forget that they also try to modify your registry and system files,PG doesn't protect your registry or system files 100%,though i have other apps for that. But the big main advantage is that for them to infect you,or do whatever,you have to have a connection to there site,block their ip,they can't infect you.

It's all about layering,PW is just another layer.

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Correct, I'll just add that PG is not a firewall, and doesn't intend to be a firewall. Its a system protection program, or HIPS is closest if you want to "label" it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.