Protector Plus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Windfresh, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windfresh

Windfresh Registered Member

What can you say about Protector Plus www.pspl.com ? Is it a good antivirus?Does it have incremental mechanism of updating?Please,don't link us to www.virus.gr or www.av-comparatives.org .I am interested in personal experience in using that AV.
    Thank you in advance :D

2. yo0

yo0 Guest

Protector Plus comes from India, it's small, fast, light, have a small updates. I have tried it not long time ago. As far as I know Protector Plus has an average overall detection rates as CA eTrust, however, I believe it's far better than a sloppy 3 freebies AVG, Avast, AntiVir.

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Em,i pretty much doubt that. avast! and AntiVir are well established names in AV sector with quiet good detection rates.

4. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I doubt too, really.

As far as I've seen, Protector Plus has never been tested/passed or certified by a well known labs such as ICSA Labs or even Virus Bulletin so where is the credibility of overall solutions?

In my opinion, at least, the reliable AV products should have been continuously certifiled by ICSA Labs.

5. Windfresh

Windfresh Registered Member

All those sublime titles and certificates do not impress me in any way.I am more than sceptic about them.The only thing what matters is the real experience in real situations in real machines.
    I am very astonished to notice that the community here is inclined to discuss the same AVs,neglecting the rest.
    I think all those comparisons of Nod with other programmes should be located in Nod directory.

6. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

That's exactly how I feel about most postings here.......I'm glad to see this!

Maybe it's not a top scanner, but it is very easy to configure and therefore maybe a good program for the lesser experienced AV user.

;) Putin

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'd go with avast! or AntiVir instead of this one for sure.

8. Benvan45

That we know by now..........pfffffff!!!!!!!

:oops: Putin

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

All i'm saying is that most probably those freebies will perform better. Feature and detection wise...

10. Benvan45

Yes, but try mentioning other brands as well........

see text below, written by Windfresh:

All those sublime titles and certificates do not impress me in any way. I am more than sceptic about them.The only thing what matters is the real experience in real situations in real machines.
    I am very astonished to notice that the community here is inclined to discuss the same AVs, neglecting the rest.

Good luck......

Putin

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

We'll then he will wait for a long time since probably no one was ever impressed by this one.

12. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I highly doubt this as well, and it also isn't free past the 30-day trial as it costs $30.

13. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive just downlaoded and had a go with protector plus , and my first impressions is that its quite light and doesnt use a lot of resources impacting on system performance.I do however find it "awkward" in its lack of setup options.It doesnt seem to have an option to scan all files and i believe must be using some internal list of infectable file types, as the real time scan statistics showing files scanned is at 769 files ...thats after about an hours browsing and downloading files , so im assuming that this isnt scanning all files.I visited some infectable warez sites , but get no response from protector plus realtime scanner (kav , nod , drweb , avast etc ) does give a malware warning.Ive tried many avs , and of the ones ive tried , this one gives me the least confidence , especially because of the lack of options in it.I tried a few trojan tests with it.It detected lithium , various net devils , though failed on backdoor theef.137 which is quite an old one now.While some may like its simplicity , personally i wouldnt use it.
    ellison

EDIT UPDATE.......
    Actually there is options for all files , which i failed to to see......ill trial this a little longer on the all files settings...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  14. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Action to be taken automatically.
    Desinfect - Delete - Rename - Quarantine - Ignore - Deny access

What a choice. Is that a GUI that makes an AV scanner userfriendly. :rolleyes:
    Thanks for showing it, now I have a good reason to skip this one.

15. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

That is the main option screen for real time scanner.If you click the "next" button that allows you to scan "all files" or leave on the default extensions list.It also has exclude folder options.On demand scanner options is basically the same except the default is to scan all files.Email scanner works on the "localhost" server principle and seems to work ok , though you have to alter your server to read localhost.KAV and nods email scanning system is far superior in this respect.Setting the real time scanner to scan all files still gets no response at dodgy warez sites.Kav , nod and dr web detects the usual trojan downloader js .ist bar.I think this is a file defenition scanner only as there is no reference to heuristics (or options to enable such) , that some users might prefer in an av.
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.