Protection disabled in spywareblaster 3.4

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by wda, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wda

    wda Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2005
    Posts:
    3
    Windows XP
    Zone Alarm firewall
    Gateway PRB 700
    Dial up connection

    I have just loaded Spywareblaster 3.4 and when checking the settings I noted that 46 items had protection disabled for Internet Explorer.
    I scanned thru the list of of items and noted that none of them were what I would want accessing my computer. The common thread was that they were all Activex type. Here is an example.
    Trojan.favadd.G -{72FF22A1 -8Bf1-11D5-9A3D-000021456A27}
    There were also several electronic group dialers.
    I went thru and checked them manually.

    Why were these items not automatically checked by the program when it set up the protection and should I be blocking these??

    Dave
     
  2. Bubba

    Bubba Updates Team

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2002
    Posts:
    11,271
    Hey Dave....Welcome to Wilders,

    Without answering to quickly that yes they should have been checked by the program....when you enable those items....close the program....and then re-open the program....are they still enabled ?

    In case it is needed for further assistance....does this user have Admin privlegies....and would you list any other Security\Privacy programs you use Please.
     
  3. wda

    wda Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2005
    Posts:
    3
    I shut spywareblasted down and restarted. It listed 46 items as having protection disabled. I checked and it is the same group of activex items.

    The only program I am running beyond spywareblasted is zone alarm.

    this is a home computer so hopefully I have all the priveleges.

    Dave
     
  4. Bubba

    Bubba Updates Team

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2002
    Posts:
    11,271
    Just to be sure we are on the same page....did you enable those 46 items before shutting Spywareblaster down ?

    You will need to find out somehow if you have Admin privileges.
     
  5. wda

    wda Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2005
    Posts:
    3
    and I did not enable those newly checked items. I noted that option after I sent that last message and did the enable. That solved that problem but does not explain why they were not caught in the original set up.

    I do have admin privileges
     
  6. Bubba

    Bubba Updates Team

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2002
    Posts:
    11,271
    That's a good thing kind of :doubt:
    I agree....and puzzles me also....given the fact you say you only use zone alarm....excluding Spywarebalster. This type of puzzle usually only crops up if the user does not have Admin privilegies(which you do)....or by being disabled by other programs such as Adware filter, Spybot, Pest Patrol, AOL privacy software....etc. Also....if the items were found un-checked randomly....that tells me they were not at the end of the list after a database update.

    Please keep us informed....and we will do our best in helping you solving this puzzle :doubt:
     
  7. barbula76

    barbula76 Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2005
    Posts:
    1
    Same thing happened to me.

    Downloaded and installed 3.4 (upgrade from 3.3).

    11 spyware/malware sites were unblocked.
    CoolWebSearch, Googke, Windupdates, SellTraff, Electronic-Group, Commision Junction, ContextPlus, C911c, Blazefind, Adfinity, 2nd-Thought.

    These are some very nasty items.

    It's a little disturbing to find these items installed unblocked.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.