Protecting yourself from vishing attacks

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I will never understand how people fall for this. I have been called by the insurance scam perhaps 3 dozen times in the last 1 1/2 years.

I think it should be pretty obvious by now.. if they solicit you without you asking, the answer is NO. If you ask them to solicit you, different story.

It applies to both the online and offline worlds. Norton & Microsoft do not send you pop-ups that you need to update, and legitimate business should not call you at home to sell thier product. In this day, telemarketing should be banned or outlawed. But as long as people fall for the obvious, I guess they keep going.

Sul.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It's easy enough to sign up for the Do Not Call list online. The problem is, the crooks ignore the laws and find those that are unaware of such scams.

Those that ignore the laws should serve jail time and pay a hefty fine.

4. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Very true, I signed up for DNC in Nov. 2008. Subsequently I kept getting calls advising that there was 'no current problem' with my credit cards but I should 'press 1' to talk to a rep. or 'press 3' to be removed from their list. Since messages were left on my voice mail, I couldn't press either number. Finally I answered the phone myself and pressed 3. A few days later this was repeated. The next time I pressed 1 and when the rep responded I asked to be removed from their list but was told that I'd have to press 3 (i.e. wait for another call then, eh? and we know it doesn't work!). So when the next call came I changed tactics, I thanked them for the chance to let them help me, I listened politely to the rep, asked dumb (very dumb) questions, coughed a lot, excused my self for 15 seconds and so on. But he hung in there until he could get to the point where he could ask for my card numbers, date of birth, etc. because that's what they want. (possibly this is semi-legit, I never got far enough or thought to ask if they wanted to just bill me for their *service* or if they wanted to sell my info as in ID Theft). Well it took me awhile to remember things, and then I couldn't find my card anyway (heh, heh :D ) so after about 15 minutes he abruptly hung up, he didn't even say goodbye. :( (Awwwww, poor guy may have missed his quota).
    I had (only) two more calls. I basically repeated the tactics and I have to assume that they finally realized that I was deliberately wasting *their* time, because the last call ened with a "goodbye weirdo" and hang up. They haven't called since. That's the only way you can get them to stop. Invest a few minutes and have a bit of fun too:D

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yeah! I do the same type thing. May as well have some fun with them. I like to ask them what thier phone is so I can call them back after I get off the throne. Or, tell them I sell Amway products and would like to get thier home phone. Let them talk and then ask things like 'do you shave your legs' or 'what state do you live in, I was planning a vacation next week'. Pretty much anything that makes them want to hang up. Often when they call I will switch accents during the conversation, so maybe a NY accent then a Georgia or Aussie or English or Indian or Spanish. Dont' matter, cause they kinda pause, not sure if you are messing with them or not.

But you are right, it is one way to get them to stop calling. I notice more of them leave messages though.

Good times to be had at thier expense ;)

Sul.

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

They were driving me nuts so I decided to have some fun. Took one call, and let this poor women talk. Then she would ask a question, and I'd just answer with the name of a fruit or vegetable. She finally got annoyed and asked me what I was doing. I responded annoying you as much as you people annoy me. She then asked me why I just didn't hang up. I told her I wasn't going to do that, she would have to hang on me, which she finally did.

Then they called back later that evening. Once I got the real person on the phone, I asked them to hang on a bit, put the phone on speakerphone, set it down by a speaker and just left it to see how long they'd wait before hanging up. No more calls.

7. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

Not that I'm a pshyc wiz, but these companies prey on those who are looking for hope in the world. Elderly folks who may live alone, on a fixed income. People who are financially strapped, looking for a way out. If the opportunity sounds good, and there is a strong enough desire to want that out, that help, that chance to improve ones current situation, then they got you.
    The sad thing is that in this day and age, i fear more and more bad people will profit from others' misfortune and need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.