Protected mode in Windows Vista

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hossie, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Hi,

What is this protected mode all about in Windows Vista. Can it cause a problem while logging on to secure websites.

I would appreciate if anyone can give me more information about it in detail.

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

it means Internet explorer 7 runs in lower rights so its less likely that exploits will damage the system.
    as you know if you visit poisoned site in IE6 with admin rights IE6 also has admin rights and the website loads the spyware on to your pc.
    the idea of protected mode means even if your on a admin account IE7 has lower rights so the poisened malware page cant affect the whole system.
    weither it works or not is yet to be seen.....
    lodore

3. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Don't run Vista, there are to many bugs, etc etc.
    Run Ubuntu/GNU Linux.
    No AV Needed.

4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Anybody who says you don't need an antivirus with linux is playing Russian Roulette

Yes the risk is lower but it can & does get infected, not as often as windows but it happens

Look at all the infected websites out there spreading worms/trojans & viruses. most of the servers run on various linux versions and even if you don't infect yourself you still spread the virus/trojan/worm via email without any AV warning you

5. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

The only thingh holding me back for linux sake is i think it is ment for advanced users and lesser support for games and novice security software.

With no support i mean i can't run it or is this false thought?

For me it is important thinghs are clear,easy and advanced. Im not afraid of learning but as a average/advanced pc user i don't want to make the jump in one day from windows to expert os.

With unsecure windows i feel i can protect myself suffciently with the correct tools and thoughtprocess without confusing myself. Plus i don't have a burner :D

6. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

8. hossie

hossie Registered Member

Thanks ever so much for all the inputs on protected mode.
    I have ubuntu installed on one of my hard drive, I was just curious about Protected mode.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Totally completely untrue.

There's a huge difference between Linux client and Linux server, first.
    Second, getting infected in Linux can only be done deliberately - that is the user must provide root credentials for any program to be installed. Otherwise, it will do absolutely nothing. Unlike Windows, which provides 37 different ways of getting infected, in Linux, there's only one.

You run an IM in Linux. Someone sends you a 'malicious' link. And? You click it. The malware tries to run a bit of Windows code. Nothing happens. Let's even assume that malware is crafted to attack a particular flavor of NIX kernel. Still, nothing happens. Because it does not run with root privileges. And unlike Windows, there's a true separation between user and system. Hell, they even usually reside on different partitions by default during installation.

The same applies for all other types, including browser, email, p2p etc.

To say nothing of inherently much better overall security, robustness, faster updates etc.

So, Linux problems come down to one thing. You download a file. You decide to execute it. And it turns to be a bad egg. Which should not happen, if you download your stuff from official sites - or even better - if you compile from sources.

Therefore, anyone ever getting infected in Linux does it on purpose.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.