ProSecurity v1.26 released! [as of Jan 08, 2007]

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PSDeveloper, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Re: ProSecurity v1.24 released! [as of Dec 2, 2006]

Free now, but the way I see it, as responsive as ProSecurity and CyberHawk is to customer suggestions and problems, I won't be running freeware long. Already hinting to the wife what she can get me for Christmas. I think the two would make a great present.

2. Arup

Arup Guest

Three years back, I was using Avira, then called Anti Vir free, got infected with a virus that attacked a system file which was locked, since Avira doesn't have boot time scan, it couldn't clean it, posted at Avira forum, was told, use another anti virus, I did, used Avast and never looked back ever, I know Avira has better detection rates, but overall Avast rules, maybe I should have asked for a refund from free Avira :)

3. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

@Chuck57
    Im really happy with PS my self. i do like cyberhawk since they both work together to compliment eachother :thumb:

@Arup
    I am sorry for your loss Arup :'( but maybe you are better off using another antivirus when they suggest you use another. Its really bad when the owner/developers tell you to use another software product since i guess they were in a bad time or something perhaps? but i personally only used it for testing since it is not good as other antivirus in my own virus tests. I prefer NOD32 since its just seriously nice on detection and resources. But i feel some people forget and think HIPS software is a magic bullet. Its not people always need an antivirus and a firewall product WITH their HIPS and / or bahaviour blocker like CyberHawk.

I hope ProSecurity works well for you all, and hope you help when you can with comments and tell the developer or me when you get any problems.

4. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I have to apoligyse incase someone has already said this, but this link was given to me today and it seems to have a huge review of ProSecurity v1.23 Paid and freeware.

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Prosecurity

Perhaps anybody interested in this product can read this and get some useful information about the product through the eyes of someone else.

WG

5. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

Is there any planned fix for this particular weakness? :rolleyes:

6. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I am not sure . . lets see what Jie says

7. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I just sent a message to the developer about this.

Any other problems with 1.24 ? I personally dont have any actual prolems but apart from the slight niggle about when you have a huge list of rules and delete one at the bottom it takes a while to refresh. Any others?

8. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

Thanks much, TechWg, I asked the question on the PS forum and the developer already answered yesterday, I will paste it here:

'This is designed to reduce popups, because if all applications were not allowed to start other process, there would be some popups for this, actually if a process want to start another process that means the started process need to have privilege to start, this mean if the started process is a new process, there should be a warning box shown for this process starting action. If so there would be 2 popups to ensure a new process to start.

Actually there would be only a few application need to be restricted on loading other processes, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox and so on. But anyhow we will think about this, maybe PS need to provide a "default privilege settings" for this, then user can config what he(she) want. If so when a new app. rule is creating, PS will copy the default privilege settings.'

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes, but I need time to check on the problem, it is currently based around the inclusion of the "over-ride" to enforce protection, which, well, is a possible problem, either due to incorrect implimentation, or incorrect reports for PS. I do not have the time to fully check on this at the moment (family illness) so will fully check/report when I can.

10. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

ok stem, no probs
    As always he does his best to fix anything you guys can figure out.

11. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I personally would really like this protection, BUT it is not important. although i do believe it would have real use, but at the end of the day its Jie's choice to not add a function he feels is not needed. Its usage would be so small and minor that its not really worth the time coding i guess.

WG

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I have been using its free version for the last 10 days or so, and very much impressed. It provides good protection and does not drag down system performance like other HIPS do. I know for extra $, it can be upgraded to pro(paid version), therefore I have a little question to ask. What is the rule of thumb to make this upgrade? Instead of the published chart of comparision, can someone use layman's language to describe it ? Thanks a million.:)

13. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

well firstly i would like to say im happy you like ProSecurity!.
    Secondly, i would say if you feel you are more of a power user and would like to have more protection now, or like to have its ability to enable it when you need to beef up your security , i feel it may be the leap you are looking for. Else if you really feel comfortable with the freeware, then you may feel happy and stay with it.

WG

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: An excellent advice. Thanks.:)

15. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

What do you think? Are you happy enough with freeware?

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Thank you for your concern. I think I am happy and ok w/ free version for now. The reasons being: I use ZASS(minus AV and AS), Avast Home, AVG AS plus and Deep Freeze standard, plus few AS scanner(on demand, such as SuperAntispyware). ZA has triple firewall; application,network and most importantly, O/S, these three would provide some coverages same as HIPS do . When I surf, I do it on DF's frozen state, very safe, coupled w/ proSecurity free 's protection, I think all areas I can think of are pretty much covered. Having said that, I may change my mind and upgrade to paid version in near future. It is always my pleasure to enjoy nice work produced by quality programs, just like sip a glass of Jonny Walker Blue label.:)

17. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

:thumb:

18. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I tried the 1.24 free version.I think SSM free,is much better,can block much more leak tests out of the box.I think because PS allows by default a trusted application to do some things while SSM requests new permission?But for some reason i get the impression SSM asks me again for certain rules,as if it was "forgetting" them.Anyway.

2 bugs:

1)Visual,when using 1280x1024 with large fonts(120dpi) in LCD 60Hz 17":

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1446/20061216095321yd0.png

2)Upon uninstallation,i lost Firefox's bookmarks and every configuration setting in Firefox,even a Boolean rule i had added manually.

19. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

No problem here with losing Firefox bookmarks and configuration.
    I have uninstalled a few times with no effect.

20. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

21. PSDeveloper

PSDeveloper Registered Member

Thanks for your liking! This problem will be fixed in the next version!
    Thanks for your reporting, we haven't found this problem, could you tell me which version of ProSecurity and Firefox you are using?

22. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

No problem.For a HIPS that's new,it's very good and the free version offers more than PG Free and runs lighter than SSM Free from what i ve seen,specially CPU-wise,where SSM spikes to 2% of my CPU every few seconds.

I used the 1.24 and Firefox 2.0.I use italian windows XP and english firefox btw.Thankfully,my bookmarks were backed up,but it was a bit annoying.I think i was running AVG Free too at the time and Ashampoo free firewall.I say "think" because i had decided to format,so i tried various security programs lately.Maybe some of the previous ones left something behind,but i m sure i had the firefox issue once i uninstalled PS.

23. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Sweet! Thanks for the great offer team prosecurity

24. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes, I will certainly agree.

25. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

:thumb: i am drunki and dont want to post, but i have to day i am pleased wiht the offer of 35% and i am pleased that issued are being found! beucase when they are found, this means they are fixes very quickly! i am so proud of the creator aqnd his great skills in programming since he can do so much and he has no other job to hinder his work ! good work Jie and keep it up. :thumb:

Did you get to test ps with anything that you nedded to test stem ?> or have you had no time at this time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.