ProSecurity v1.26 released! [as of Jan 08, 2007]

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PSDeveloper, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Re: ProSecurity v1.23 released![FREE/PAID]

I think this may be resolved in a new update at some poing very soon, i have suggested a system where the user can opt to import standard (already prepped) system rules. We will see how long this takes to impliment, and if still peoples third party software may cause problems still.

2. BuckSnort_

BuckSnort_ Registered Member

My first try at uninstalling an earlier version of ProSecurity and installing version 1.23 failed similar to others in this forum. After restoring a previous snapshot, I uninstalled in safe mode this time. Reinstalled 1.23 and it is working fine now.

3. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

umm i had no trouble with uninstalling 1.22.1

4. PSDeveloper

PSDeveloper Registered Member

I'm sorry for this problem! It's a problem of setup program, the problem just seems like this: ProSecurity's setup program should delete the rule files before copy files, but it forgot to do this, this means after it installed all new exe files, it still use old rule files which has an old SHA-1 checksum, so the new installed exe files can't been started again. I have fixed this, but you are not needed to download a new setup program if you have make PS work.

5. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

ah that makes sense, i know PS was not the problem i had no issue even with my vmware tests

6. PSDeveloper

you first received a beta version(it use old setup script and you don't need to uninstall before installing this new version), which one will delete rules before install new version, that's why you don't have this problem. :)

7. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Oh i see. i think ?! anyway all i know is thats all fixed in 1.23 and i am running better than ever! hey did you change anything else ? my system seems to be working smoother somehow ?

8. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

I was away for a few days and just got back to find this new version available.

However, reading through the previous posts before related to installation problems, I have not got the final point: should I really uninstall 1.22.1 first to avoid such?? o_O

All the same, will I lose all the already created hundreds rules?? :mad:

Also, still with 1.22.1, I am having a weird problem that might have to do with PS (if not, I can only think of GesWall): when my network connection is off, after starting Windows, I am not able to go past the initial user login / password as it starts logging in and immediately logs off back...?

9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Re: ProSecurity free edition released(and a minor update: v1.22.1)[HIPS Software]

I can reproduce similar error, if the PC is unable to get an IP via DHCP.(PS does not initialize at all)
    Should PS be dependent on this?

Attached Files:

• PS.gif
      PS.gif
      File size:
      45 KB
      Views:
  10. nightingale

nightingale Registered Member

Hmmmm.Nope I could not recover at all and that is what was frustrating.It would have been nice to know what would have happened if a person does not reboot in learning mode.A warning post ,many of us need it lol .Seems to me that should have been been written as part of the installation to reboot now.Just my thoughts but it would help those of us who are not computer savvy .Lesson learned here by me the hard way again oi.Thanks all for your input .

11. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Re: ProSecurity free edition released(and a minor update: v1.22.1)[HIPS Software]

This is caused because the system services take too long to load. I had same issue, Jie does know abou this but its a hard task to fix.
    I had this problem after running somethings.

Try this after you reboot and login instantly run this commnd "services.msc" and look at your services by started ior not, and you will see services not started. This means something is causing your services to lag. My case was vmware and comodo

12. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

In fairnes it has ben mentioned several times on this forum and our own forum about rebooting with learn mode. Also when you instakll you are taken to a page that instructs you to do this step. We will try and add detault rules for the different OS that you can CHOOSE to install after PS loads the first time. This may take some time

13. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I do not understand your explanation of this. The DHCP service starts, it is just unable to obtain an IP.

14. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

The procedure I mentioned should allow someone to recover from this situation - I managed to do something similar after installing true image with the SSM beta installed. Stuck at the logon screen.

I agree an auto reboot would be helpful as part of the install.

In any case when problems occur it is always worth taking some time before reinstalling - A lot of people round here use Raxco First Defence, HDS rollback RX or a good imaging prog - True image or similar. I'd take a look at first defence - a useful safety net

Using one of these can make this type of situation a lot less painful....hopefully useful for the future.

15. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Im my experience , there are services that really slow down and fail to start quickly, in my case it was a vmware and a Workstation service this caused PS to complain about not communicating with driver

16. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I agree very useful.
    I use norton ghost and it suites me down to the ground

17. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

PS does not show any dependencies, are you saying this is incorrect? and that PS depends on other services correct startup,... in yes, then, what dependencies are required. (these should be correctly made with the O.S, and info given to the user for debugging).
    I look at this as (if I was a baddie), I could cause a service stall (any by the look of this),.. this then would prevent PS startup/loading~ protection

18. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

No . . no dependancies, but the system in its self does not work well when services are lagged. for example load services.msc and sort it by started, and you will see 1 service stuck on starting or stopping, and the rest of the system services and drivers can not load wighouth that being resolved. Its nothing to do with a depandancy, its to do with the time it takes for the PS driver to be active, and the GUI of Ps thinks the driver failed because its timeout was reached

Jie knows about thsi and will fix if asap

19. PSDeveloper

Thanks for your testing!

I test on Winxp and Win2003. But maybe I misunderstand you, I can't reappear this even I stop DHCP and DNS service.(Actually except the update.exe which added in this new version, all other programs don't access network, and update.exe will not startup except people click on the "New ver" at the top right corner)

I have found the crash at "0x4051d6" is caused by multi-language function, while evaluation to a window which haven't initilized will cause this crash, this will be fixed in the next version.

But the "can't create commucation" problem shouldn't be reappeared on my testing computers, but from the error code "2", it seems the driver haven't been started or it initilized failed.

Anyone know how to reappear it?

20. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

i dont know how else to explain it

21. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

As these questions remain unanswered, I have posted them at the PS own forum...

Nonetheless, I am still eagerly waiting for answers... :rolleyes:

22. PSDeveloper

23. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

BACK TO MY PROBLEM

I change my OS to nLited Windows XP Professional. After installing OS, Drivers and all my programs I have same error. I have also some problems with Cyberhawk. It didn's start at all.

So then I try to reinstall ProSecurity. After uninstalling ProSecurity Cyberhawk starts immediately. Then I install ProSecurity again -> same error again, but now Cyberhawk starts with Windows. Yes I deleted ProSecurity folder manually before installing it again.

I don't believe that there is some problem with DHCP etc, services because all my services starts normally. Should PSSession.exe start with windows? In my setup it didn't start.

-MikeNAS

EDIT1: Now when I kill ProSecurity and start it again manually -> same error.

24. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I uninstalled Cyberhawk and reboot -> again same error

EDIT1: Maybe I have to change back to SSM Free.

25. PSDeveloper

I'm sorry, I can't reappear it in our testing, but if you like, could you help me to fix this problem together? If yes, please add my msn account, it's in my profile. Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.