ProSecurity v1.26 released! [as of Jan 08, 2007]

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PSDeveloper, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Re: ProSecurity free edition released(and a minor update: v1.22.1)[HIPS Software]

I guess i cant see the wood for the trees! i had completely forgotten the advanced tab :oops:

2. PSDeveloper

PSDeveloper Registered Member

Re: ProSecurity free edition released(and a minor update: v1.22.1)[HIPS Software]

I'm sorry, but maybe the name is not very good so it confused you.

Tcp Incoming = Tcp incoming connection
    Tcp Outgoing = Tcp outgoing connection

This means if user set Tcp incoming to "Block", and set Tcp outgoing to "Allow", this means this application can't accept incoming connections. But this application can connect to network still.

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Well there is a problem on my installation(from all PS installations),.. as if I select "block inbound TCP" for my browser, my connection is lost.

edit:
    I have re-checked,.. as I do on every installation of PS,... if I select to block inbound TCP for firefox,... then no Browsing is possible. If your intention with this was to only block inbound connection (TCP SYN) packets, then there is a conflict/bug/problem, in which case I must review the installation, as a conflict that disables the correct running/filtering for PS, may affect my firewall. This for me is not good news, as I will now not run PS on an internet PC, untill I can find this conflict.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

To recheck on this: I have restored from image of XP (updates to 17 nov 06). This as no firewall installation (this is my test PC behind packet filter firewalled gateway), On installation of PS and setting of my browser within PS to block inbound TCP allow outbound TCP,.. I am unable to connect to the internet. This is not filtering TCP on this setup,.. this is simply blocking ALL inbound TCP

Edit:
    Could a user of PS please check on this. Set the network access (in PS) for your browser to "block inbound TCP" then try to connect to the internet (make sure first, that you have disconnected from the internet (fully closed your browser) after changing the rules for your browser within PS,...)

5. PSDeveloper

Thanks for your testing, I have replied here: http://www.proactive-hips.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1164090300/0

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Thanks for checking,

I do not use IE (I will setup again to check with this browser),.. When I block FF for inbound, I notice that the only alert given is for loopback,... other connection attempts have no popup (for returned packets). But still no browsing is possible

I will re-install, and re-check for all other browsers.

Could you try FF(firefox) to see if there is a possible problem due to loopback (blocking the initial loopback (inbound) connection may stop further connection by FF)

Edit,
    I have checked with IE, and all o.k.,..... so it is a problem with FF. As this is now a bug report, I will continue this at the PS forum.

7. PSDeveloper

Thanks for your reply! PS manages loopback connections too, so after you set "incoming" to block, while firefox try to connect to a loopback address, PS blocked it.

I can access our forum, please try to connect to our forum again if you can't access forum still, please let me know. Thanks!
    http://www.proactive-hips.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1164090300

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes, PS blocks the loopback for FF, but it also blocks all other inbound when the "block inbound TCP" for firefox is set,.. have you run firefox to check on this?

9. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

prosecurity is the best i have yet seen- its similar to process guard + regdefend+ssm - where is the developer from? ukraine? czech republic maybe?

10. PSDeveloper

yes, I tested FF just now, FF has a loopback connection, it connect to 127.0.0.1: 1935:
    Direction:Incoming Protocol:TCP Remote Address:127.0.0.1: 1935

11. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I would personally not agree with this,... the protection within PS is very good,... but not to the extent as you try to infer. (a simple example would be access to windows services/ LSP )

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Could you connect to the internet with FF with the settings mentioned? (block TCP inbound for FF)
    (loopback will use any port available)

13. PSDeveloper

Thanks for your praise! I'm very glad you like it so much!

14. PSDeveloper

No, I can't. it's because PS block FF from TCP inbound accessing.

15. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

So this is a bug/problem with PS/firefox (or a problem with PS/loopback)

16. PSDeveloper

The network function has no problem on its work.

17. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Do you have any timeline in mind for this? As the app asking for hooks that freezes is easy blocked by other apps.

18. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

WOW what a dialog going on :D i think this problem might take a little while, but it would be nice to have this fixed. Stem i also have this FF issue.

and to the guy who asked the creator of ProSecurity is Chinese

19. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

What do you mean? the delay before you can click buttons on the warning screen ?

20. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

No I mean sometimes when I block things in PS the whole system freezes (This has happened with leechget) and will not clear until a reboot or more common that some applications stop responding until killed (note tab lite used for testing)

if I block the same thing in PG, SSM or even outpost (if network) no problem

21. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

ok i get ya now. This is the exact same problem i had today several times. Jie is working on it as we speak. We will see how long it takes him to fix :)

22. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Stem: thx for the clarification.

The freeware version does not has the TCP blocking feature does it?

23. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

i believe freeware does include network protection in ProSecurity

24. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

if all goes well, the fixed driver will be given in a temporary update utility of some sort to replace the driver, to save you reinstalling IF all goes well. but as i understand with the next few week(s) i think we will see new features or abilities by PS. I am not sure what they all are. But i know they will be very nice.

25. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

But firefox will always attempt a loopback when started,.. PS is simply blocking this and any other TCP inbound. So from this, if I was using IE, and an inbound TCP connection/scan was made, then IE would be simply blocked from any/all other inbound untill re-started?.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.