ProSecurity v1.26 released! [as of Jan 08, 2007]

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PSDeveloper, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I use a Netgear DG834 router/firewall to connect 5 desktops. Attached is a Netgear WG602 wireless which allows my wife and youngest son to user their laptops. when I set up the wireless I set security to WPA-PSK which I believe/hope stops people passing buy from listening in ?

I don't use any software firewall - no running anti spyware - and although I have Antivir it has never found anything, nor did Avast or AVG in years gone by.

Once I started using my router a couple of years ago I stopped seeing spyware or viruses ( virii ?). My mail is collected by a company which removes spam and that must stop a lot of bad things from getting in. I'm sure that Firefox -noscripts also helps.

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Thanks Long View, I believe what you are saying to be the facts about how hard it is to get infected with anything. I need to stop trying all these softwares, and your post goes a long way in helping with that. I just uninstalled ProSecurity free as it wouldn't remember a rule for removing a USB drive connection for some reason. Take care.

3. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

perhaps you could rais a bug comment on the official forum for PS? if it really is a bug then others can benifit from your experience.

4. duke1959

No problem TECHWG, I'll mention it there soon.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just throw it into learning mode then plug and unplug all your devices.

6. Stephen2

Stephen2 Registered Member

When using the latest (1.26.1) version of this EXCELLENT software, I did lock myself out.

As always, I chose the hardest method of doing everything and thought, OH, learning mode, who needs it, and rebooted.

Of course, I was locked out, and the uninstall from SAFE MODE seemed the only option. It didn't uninstall.

To work around, the "Windows\System32" directory had several (four from memory?) files named: "PS*.dat" being, it seems the ProSecurity RULES files. I renamed all four and rebooted. I could then log in and start my setup from scratch (using learning mode this time!)

I hope that helps anyone having difficulties uninstalling/locked out of system. Other than my own stupidity/crazyness, the software is now running amazingly well. So much so that I'm going to have to buy it.

-------------

One thing mentioned in the WIKI that I find extremely poor is when allowing a new application to start, it automatically creates LOAD + EXECUTE options, allowing the application to launch child applications by default. This is bad, developers, please change this.

-------------

7. Stephen2

Stephen2 Registered Member

double post :(

8. duke1959

Just have time to type this fast. I had PS in learning mode when using the USB Ports. I plugged in my device and copied something to it, clicked safely remove hardware and did. Out of learning mode though it wouldn't remember the rule for this and kept popping up an alert each time I used the safely remove hardware feature. I'm not complaining and will report it in better detail as soon as I can. I liked PS Free but I use my USB Port a lot. From what I read in here though, I know it'll be fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.