ProSecurity v1.26 released! [as of Jan 08, 2007]

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PSDeveloper, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi Kees1958,

Just wondering, what do you mean by "disconnected interface"?

Best regards,
    Atomas31

2. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

To PS DEVELOPER

You have very nice product. I tried you program some time ago and it was driving me crazy with all kinds of pop ups. You might say it was doing its job. I am not advanced computer user so i took it off and loked something else. After reading this thread i thought i will give this new version ago.....It is fantastic,especially the new rules generator wizard. For newbie like me i it is lifesaver. Keep up the good work.

3. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

PS has a disconnect GUI functions. it called rightclick the tray icon and deselect "Show warning box" This ill leave all rules as they are and not show you any box

4. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

5. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

TECHWG, if any trouble with prosecurity free, can it be uninstalled with no problems later? i see newbie using it and so i would like to try. am still scared something get messed up in my computer though so is ps free safer now to use with wizard and no one getting locked out of pc?

6. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Yes you can uninstall, nothing should go wrong if you leave the program in learn mode for a period of one day while you do everything you normally use your pc for. then you remove learn mode. Worst case , perhaps you may need to go into safe mode and uninstall. failing this you would be looking at a format or a restore but if you follow the directions you should be fine

7. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Yes 1.26 is much safer. However - if you don't already use imaging software ( e.g Acronis True Image, Ghost....) it is something you should consider. If you use an imaging program and don't like a new installation you just restore the image you made before installing the new program and its just like the new program never existed.

8. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I use norton ghost for this reason :) for security applications is no different than life..

"With great power, comes great responsability" So if you are not responsible with any powerful security applications and mis use them, you can be in for a world of trouble. I think its good for people to affiliate them selves with security more to safeguard their PC.

9. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

re TECHWG's uninstall advice:
    That's a pain in the neck, but I can deal with that if necessary.
    Format?? OUCH!
    Pls don't misconstrue, as I'm a registered (paying) & satisfied PS customer, but I would like to think there is a relatively painless way to uninstall this proggie should something go horribly awry.

cheers

10. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

You should just be able to uninstall it from Add/Remove programs. There should be no need to format or even restore an image if you use imaging software. I routinely try different security apps, two-three/month, and simply uninstall them when I'm done (usually <day or two) with no appreciable hit on system performance. I use Acronis TI so usually after 3-6 months of this I will consider a reimage, but not before that.

11. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I should hope so, (or use PS's own uninstall utility).
    It's just that TECHWG (being a PS agent/representative) did little to instill confidence to the populace with that commentary.

cheers

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

it scared me, but i was trying to ask what i could do to screw things up. not that i mean to but by accident. i saw in system saftey monitor free forum that if major problem happen by accident it was not hard to delete some folder they said in safe mode and then you don't have to uninstall it. i wonder now if system safety monitor free would be better to use?

13. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

TECHWG's scary uninstall scenario aside, I prefer PS. Yes, I ran a trial of SSM.
    Found it very thorough, but a bit intimidating (busy).
    I found PS much more to my liking (quite thorough enough), having migrated from PG.
    PS: I'd be quite surprised if an uninstall could not be done "conventionally" :).
    Trial both, you decide.

cheers

14. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

basically a bug will at best cause a BSOD, but premature disabling of learn mode and then rebooting is a very not cool thing to do . . seriously i have tried SSM also have the free give away thing, but every time i try ssm i really dont like it. I respect other people like it and it must work well, but i personally can not get on with it and it confuses me a little. I would not tell you guys that PS never causes problems if its used incorrect, i simply tell it like it is, PS is powerful and if you use it right will be your best friend, gross misuse may make ps take you on a ride from hell :D, and in order for this you really must go out of your way to do that by disabling learn mode and rebooting, Thats a really bad bad bad idea.

15. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Either PS free or SSM free should be perfectly fine, as long as you use the "Learning Mode" option for either product for a day or two. After that just take your time on any alerts you may get. Blocking without setting a permanent rule may be your best bet if you are not sure what it is that you are blocking. If the effect is undesireable, such as a legit program not starting up, a product update not completing, or failed expected action within a program, then you will know the next time not to block it, and you could then set a permanent allow rule for it.

16. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

i may try prosecurity free then thanks to everyone. i was going to try cyberhawk cause it looks easy, but guess i don't need it with proscecurity. i have avg antivirus and pc tools firewall but do i need firewall with prosecurity free?

17. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Absolutely. You need (at a minimum) a FW's inbound protection.
    PS will much enhance your FW's outbound protection.
    DL / run a few leaktests, you'll be convinced.

18. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

:thumb:

I believe PS has inbound also, but im not 100% sure until i load my ftp server again and do a grc test

19. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

thank everyone. i have uninstalled pc tools firewall it made me lose connection sometimes. i just have router firewall now and windows firewall. will that be ok with prosecurity free or should i use comodo instead?

20. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I would use Comodo because its a true firewall. ProSecurity has an added layer of protection which will compliment Comodo as like a emergancy backup incase you allow something on comodo then PS will give you a breath to fix your error :)

Please disable windows firewall as with a router its useless.

21. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

ok i understand. i liked ashampoo firewall even though some others don't. would it be enough protection to use it with router firewall and prosecurity free instead of comodo? i like comodo too, but not sure about the logs it shows.

22. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Use what ever firewall you feel comfortable with, and then Prosecurity will give you an extra backup incase you happen to allow something you really did not want to. I really like comodo, althogh if you use ProSecurity, perhaps its a good idea to disable Comodo's behavior monitoring since ps should do what you need.

23. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Then stick with it (I use Filseclab, even though some others don't).
    "Enough" is relative, but I would think so.
    Note: I am not, however, aware of functional differences between PS's Free vs Paid versions.
    One reason I like Filseclab. Excllent monitor/logging makes for easy tweaking/diagnostics. I find it a great learning tool.
    It, along with PS (paid), and I pass almost every leaktest I've thrown at it.
    PS re: resource usage: Filseclab & PS together <15,000K mem (private bytes), a bit less than Comodo alone.

24. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

When Installing PS it automatically goes into "Learning Mode"
    Leave in learning mode for two or three reboots.
    You will NOT get locked out.

When Installing SSM it does NOT automatically go into "Learning Mode"
    You have to set SSM to learning mode before rebooting or you WILL get locked out.

I would think that I would be more worried about getting locked out with using SSM than PS.

Rick

25. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I had not intencely researched ssm only briefly to see its GUI, i had no idea it would cause lockout like that by default

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.