ProSecurity v1.26 released! [as of Jan 08, 2007]

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PSDeveloper, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Re: ProSecurity v1.24 released! [as of Dec 2, 2006]

Just a quick question. How can you lock yourself out of your PC? I like what I've read here so far, and the idea of using ProSecurity Free to protect my AV and FW from termination seems like a good idea. Plus I heard PS is an easier HIPS program than SSM to learn and understand. I'm just worried about the locking yourself out of your PC part. What if learning mode doesn't learn everything it's suppose to? Whoops that's two questions.

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Not sure if I could do it again but when I first installed 1.24 I didn't bother to use
    learning for very long and didn't perform the fast user switch so when I screwed up and my machine froze I had to reset reboot and now I was locked out. Fortunately I had made a system image before testing.

3. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Yes,
    Most HIPS software has preset rules for the main operaing system functions. ProSecurity does not do this and gives complece control to the advanced user. I actually MUST SAY that in the next version or version soon, there will be new functions added to ProSecurity that will aid in this matter by having at least 1 function of an import of system rules based on your Operating system - IF you choose this. This will help the new people to HIPS software to be secure with less clicking in the begining.
    Hope this helps

WG

4. duke1959

And without locking ourselves out of our PC's too, correct? LOL

5. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

lol this is the goal . . to not lock your self out :D but if you use learn mode as described in the help file that comes up after install you also will be ok. There however have been cases where people did not take this advice and did just that! got locked out .:p

6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've had many adventures locking myself out of my computer with prosecurity. 99% of the time its a result of me experimenting too much. Its good fun and good learning :)

7. duke1959

If I were to try ProSecurity Free and would somehow "lock myself out". Is there a fix for it? Also I have tried an earlier version of SSM Free and liked it, but uninstalled it because at the time I shared my PC with my wife. Does anyone know if PS Free is easier to use than SSM Free is? I read in another thread here, (Cyberhawk or DSA) about PS hosing someones system. A possible software conflict or something. It was pretty frightening with something about their add/remove programs missing and what not.

8. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I agree totally 100%. Throughought my life i have learned mostly myself through trashing things and experimenting. I am 22, with a CompTIA A+ qualification, and i have the knowledge in my head to beat the tutor in this course and i prove very useful to a friend of mine who is A+ N+ MCP :D and all i did was start on windows 3.1 and break things. However if you experiment with high level security software like PS too much and you dont have a good background in IT you may be stuck. you can always try booting the PC while holding F8 and selecing last known good config, in a bad case OR try and boot in safe mode and uninstall PS then reboot. Sometimes i have played with security software especially Tiny personal firewall back a while ago, and had to use ERD commander and hirens boot cd to access my system again. :blink: Boggling!. So only experiment to the degree you feel comfortable and always ALWAYS read the lable :D by this i mean as long as you do the learn mode as suggested you should be fine.

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Although my preference is for Acronis True Image any image program will do.
    Before "playing" with ProSecurity , or any new program really, it is a good idea to make a system image. Then when things go wrong you simply restore the good image. Having this level of protection allows for all sorts of dumb what if scenarios and really helps learn what a program will do and perhaps more what it will not do.

10. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

i have an answer for you . . . Vmware Server "FREE"

With this you can take your windows disk and install windows into it and keep a backup saved on cd. And then you can do what you want and then overwrite your vmware with the backed up one. This can all be done on your pc with no reboots to your main PC.

Useful

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If you lock yourself out you can try booting into safe mode and uninstalling it. Its worked some of the time for me. Other times locking myself out has resulted in me having to restore an image of my hdd. I find PS is generally easier to use and its UI a lot better. PS free would probably be easier to use as i believe it doesn't have quite as many features as ssm free.

12. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

If you do the recomended 2 reboots and user switches if you have different accounts then you should be fine totally.

13. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Global mod / Admin

Any chance we can have the topic renamed to v1.25 ?

WG

14. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Re: ProSecurity v1.25 released! [as of Dec 2, 2006]

I have confirmation, The developer is implimenting certain features to enhance the usability to PS for the newbie user for HIPS and also the same old functionality for the seasoned professional/power user. Maybe this will take 2 versions, but i do know the next version will help the new users to HIPS softwares. I do not have a clear cut feature list but i would assume that default imports as an option would be one feature that a user can opt to use. Keep checking your updater to see if it gets updated in the next days or week etc, or check the forums to find an updated version.

WG

15. PSDeveloper

PSDeveloper Registered Member

ProSecurity 1.26 released!

What's new? January 08, 2007
    --------------------------------------------
    1. [New][BOTH] Rule Generator Wizard.
    2. [New][BOTH] Trust/Distrust/Custom rule types.
    3. [New][BOTH] French language supported.[Thanks Atomas31]
    4. [Fix][FULL] A bug may cause BSOD while importing non-standard format registry rules.
    5. [Fix][BOTH] A bug may cause BSOD while uninstalling or updating.
    6. [Fix][BOTH] Can't get the real process information while terminating process from WinStationTerminateProcess in some case.
    7. [Fix][BOTH] Some other small problems.
    8. [Improve][FULL] More information of registry protection warning.

If you want to download directly, please access here:
    http://www.proactive-hips.com/download.php

Any feedback will be appreciated!

If you are admin or moderator, please help me to update the title of this thread to: ProSecurity v1.26 released! [as of Jan 08, 2007]

Thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  16. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I really quite like the new wizard. It opens up more control and ease of use

17. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Any feedback on the wizard thing that was added to this version ?

18. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

It took quite awhile to perform the scan.

It also tried to connect out to crl.microsoft.com several times during the scan. May I know the reason?

19. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi smith2006,

The wizard is querying the certificate revocation list at Microsoft (crl.microsoft.com) to verify digital signatures.

Nick

Attached Files:

20. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

It is checking for microsoft certificate. It only allows authentic microsoft certificates. if you block it checking the MS website you can lack rules.

21. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I am beta testing a new version of PS with a fantastic new feature thats very cool and extreamly powerful! i cant tell you what it is, but what i want to tell you (if you dont already) keep checking the PS website or forum for the next update, because i guess it will be there in a few days. And the feature is more worthy than waynes world and bohemium rhapsody !

:ninja:

Sorry i cant tell you about it but i had to let you know to watch this space so to speak, because i would not want to ruin the suprise :D

22. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Thanks for the teaser!:)
    I'll be watching for the update.

23. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

well as with anything, somethings are useful to some and useless to others, however this feature is powerful in the way that i mean its a major function not a minor function. great for those people who want total control over their Pc. those people who would like a check box in real life to block a person when they are being anoying :). Dont tell me that nobody out there would not wish for a white list/black list function for reality for blocking PEOPLE ! lmao these types will love any powerful features :D

:D

24. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

I was in need of "doing something" so with my un-used time, i made an interactive flash file so people can a)see 99% or more of the interface and tick tick boxes , click combo boxes and see all the screens and options including the rule generator wizard in settings/other and b) see a virtual test PS where you can use start/programs to load a program and see how PS works for simple function - good for newbies to HIPS. Also in that mode the Internet explorer has exe launch protection and network protection. Its taken me 3 days and nights to make this staying up till 6 AM :)

Im making this because i learned some new things during its creation and i think it will be so much better than screenshots if someone wants to have a really good look at it before they download it. and as i say if someone is new to HIPS software, they can see its basic functions in action by clicking the text at the bottom of the screen to change modes.

let me know what you think, also if you find any bugs.

http://proactive-hips.com/techwg/gui.html

25. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

TechWG

Nicely done, add some comments so people can interpretate what they are seeing.

When PS offers disconnected interface I will swith from SSM to PS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.