proper steps to restore a complex incremental of an entire disk

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by billko, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billko

billko Registered Member

I hope I never have to actually use this information, but how do you restore the entire image of a disk from a complex incremental of said disk from the boot CD? Do you have to restore the base and then restore the complex incremental over it, or is it smart enough to understand that when I am specifying the complex archive, it needs to also restore the base? I see no option to create a synthetic backup from the boot CD...

Thanks!

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

An incremental backup when restored needs the base plus all the changes since the base was made.

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Check the User Guide for you version of Paragon. In the B&R Home there is an option to restore the image and then restore the incremental files backup within the same run.

Can't help you further since I only make full images.

If you have access to a spare HD (spare in case if doesn't work) it is an excellent idea to do a test recovery so you know you can indeed recover. When your disk fails for whatever reason it is not the time to learn about how well it works on your system.

4. billko

billko Registered Member

I'm very sorry. The whole backup/restore scheme is so confusing. I have a cycle of three weeks consisting of one base plus daily backups based on the information contained in Custom_Cyclic_Backup.pdf and I am now actually trying to do a test restore. I still could not find the info in the manual_br11home_en.pdf, so what I did was create a virtual restore of the base plus a virtual restore of the complex archive and then applied the changes all at once, so they would happen one after the other and it seemed to work. Is that what is mentioned in the manual?

Again, I'm sorry. I really did try to read the manual carefully a few times over. :(

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

No need to apologize, I wasn't dumping on you for not reading the manual but pointing out where you should be able to get some help since my direct experience with what you want to do is very limited.

I hope I'm referencing the same Paragon guide (I've renamed my file so it doesn't match your reference). Look around page 148 the heading is:

Restoring a file Increment to a partition backup

In short it says that in the Restore wizard you select the File archive and then a window appears to let you restore the volume data and then the selected file archive or just the file archive. Without having done it I think volume data means the base image and file archive.

The Paragon manual has lots of info in it but it can often just tell you what features do without a good explanation of how and why you would want to use them. There are also some confusing and seemingly contradictory passages as well especially when compared to the program screens.

6. billko

billko Registered Member

Thanks for your patience. It makes more sense when you explain it. I will let you know how it turns out. :)

7. Paragon_MA

Paragon_MA Paragon Moderator

When restoring from a differential/incremental backup you don't need to select base one first. Simply locate your needed differential/increment in Restore Wizard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.