prompting of credentials in login page

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Sebastian42, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebastian42

Sebastian42 Registered Member

A number of programs were suggested in a(n old) thread "Avoid UAC prompts by using an elevated program launcher" that would obviate the typing of credentials for PROGRAMS. I don't know if they will meet my need, which is for prompting of credentials in a login WEBSITE. I'd like knowledgeable advice.
    Specifically I want
    http://mybroadbandusage.virginbroadband.com.au/#usage
    [which refuses to prompt login details]
    to behave in the same way as
    http://webmail.virginbroadband.com.au/?_task=mail
    [which prompts login details without fail]
    since the websites look functionally the same and theoretically the latter should require more security than the former.
    I have unsuccessfully tried browser settings, bookmarklets, password managers and appeals to Virgin. The one program, TK8 Safe, that might work, wont run in WinMe - the O/S in which I have this 'need/wish'.

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Have you tried LastPass?

3. Sebastian42

I have. 'They' do not support O/Ss earlier than Win2K.

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

KeePass claims to work on WinME.

5. Sebastian42

Thank you - I'll try it and report back.

6. Sebastian42

KeePass DOES install in WinMe (like Password Depot), but both require the entry of a master password, plus other manipulations, when what I want is to avoid that 'unnecessary' keying. I think that KT8 might do what I want without extra work, but the version I can download won't install in WinMe, and the vendors won't give me access to an older version that is copmpatible with WinMe. So the problem has been changed to circumventing the reluctance of TK8's vendors and somehow getting access to an older version.

7. Sebastian42

KeePass DOES install in WinMe (like Password Depot), but both require the entry of a master password, plus other manipulations, when what I want is to avoid that 'unnecessary' keying. I think that KT8 might do what I want without extra work, but the version I can download won't install in WinMe, and the vendors won't give me access to an older version that is compatible with WinMe. So the problem has been changed to circumventing the reluctance of TK8's vendors and somehow getting access to an older version.

8. Sebastian42

I have tried TK8 (v3.3) on the problem in WinXP and found that like other password managers, it requires the entry of a master password, so I would be no better off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.