Prolong the life of HDD’s

Discussion in 'hardware' started by GroomLake, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Thanks for the link Markymoo, but I'm not sure what your point is (I guess I'm not that sharp today -:)). Care to elaborate?

2. GroomLake

GroomLake Registered Member

It is a big deal around here when an HDD goes south. You see we can’t send it back to the manufacture for guaranteed replacement. We actually take them apart and remove the disk platters and incinerate them.

How do you boys feel about sending a drive for repair or replacement with your personal and secret information on it?

3. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

@Stijnson

Its all there in the link and FAQ. Software runs on pc simulate protein folding which is what proteins do. If proteins don't fold right, disease, cancers happen. You helping scientists, doctors and the world fight disease by solving how proteins fold and why. The results get uploaded. Millions do it. Folding is very cpu intensive.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  4. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Agreed.
    My old 98 box runs 24/7, has for several years with very few shut downs. The original 5.1GB hard drive still serves as my C drive. In that time, I've used up 2 monitors, 6 keyboards, a floppy drive, a CD drive, and several mice, but the internal drive just keeps going. The same applies to my external drive. It's on its 3rd year of nearly non-stop running.

The only hard drives I've had fail were used ones obtained from old PCs that have sat idle.
    Rick

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I wipe the disk contents and I'm fine.

6. GroomLake

What if the drive cannot be accessed to wipe it clean? Did you ever have that sisuation?

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

After the initial boot up in the morning, I put it on standby when I leave the box for a half an hour or more. I always shut it down if I leave the house, and when I hit the hay. :)

8. GroomLake

Assumptions:
    365 days in a year
    You leave the house 3 times a week
    You put your computer on standby 2 times a day

That would be 365 + 365*3 + 365*2 = 2190

How long do expect your HDD to last powering it up and down 2190 times a year on average?

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Re: Prolong the life of HDD’s

Well in my case, I just did that. Had one of my machines at home, and while there swapped out my D drive. They copied everything from the old machine to the new one. But I know these folks, know how they work, and didn't give it a second thought.

Also while all my "data" was there, in terms of my business, etc, none of it is what I'd call "secret" Given I wouldn't do it with 99% of the vendors out there, but in these case no sweat.

Pete

10. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I don't. I have 3 WD MyBook drives; they power up when I start my computers and power down when I shut down the computers. I can't recall the last time I touched the power button on the MyBook drives.

11. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

What? You mean to tell us that, with all their advanced technology, the aliens can't fix a lousy HDD? :D

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Never happened to me. DBAN would be a second option.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I weigh that against the remote possibility that while I'm out we might get a thunder and lightning storm, or the electricity might go out and come back on with a spike. I have an APC surge protector, but that won't protect you against lightning. Actually I probably leave the house 10 times a week, and put it on standby 4 or 5 times a day. My old Compaq is 7 years old and my Dell is 4 years old. No failures yet. My stuff is imaged on an external drive. ;)

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Not applicable so for desktops, but in case of laptops Power Options are frequently used to conserve battery. HD is turned off after a certain period of inactivity.

If I understood it correctly, I read somewhere that for a HD there is a life time limit of turning off and on cycles. System info software even tell about the no. of these cycles.

Recently there were reports about ubuntu causing damage to HDs due to this.

15. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Prius, I believe mine did the same in the beginning. But I cannot remember what I did to stop that from happening. Whatever I did I did it by accident, but since I dont use it that often I am happy the way it work now. So I dont want to change back.

16. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Interesting question about which parts are failing most often : a) is it in general mechanical failures [hardware,platters,heads] b) internal software failures[controllers etc.]or simply disconnected wires inside ?

Are there somewhere statistics about ?

17. Carver

Carver Registered Member

The HDs I've owned failed because of of the controler board, which raises the question why they aren't available from the HD website. I heard that they can be replaced by another one from the same class, I don't know if it is true. Going back to something that was said before innerpeace said he just got a set of round IDE cables excuse my ignorants just what is special about round cables aside from offering lower air restance. Does the round cable offer lower restance or increased data flow and better insolation?

18. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Gives better airflow and less cable clutter,otherwise exactly the same

19. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Thank you

20. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Carver,

re replacing the controller board,it seems a few have succeeded,but it would be tricky and to be tried only as a last resort,like the danger of complete loss of data.

21. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Since its always painfull to recover a failed disk if at all possible,for safety i guess better way is at least is to use RAID solutions,starting from Raid 1 and up.In server environments its common practice to hot swap dying disks,without losing data.And with ever lowering prices of ext. disk its for us as desktop users very interesting to safeguard at hardware level.

A good UPS system[spikes,brownburn,powerloss,lightning!?!?]wil get you some more peace of mind i guess.

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thats important. My machines have the round cables, plus the drive cages can hold 5 drives, but only have 3 some there is good space between them. Finally the cages sit right behind the air intake fan. All adds up to cool drives.

23. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

yea, i read something like this...i think if you access the S.M.A.R.T. data in
    a program like HD Tune, there's one data value that needs to be watched if you want to estimate how much longer your hdd will last, i dont remember
    which one it was though..

24. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have a diagnostic tool by Western digital (I have 2 Western Digital 120 gig in a Raid 0) that uses S.M.A.R.T. data, I just looked at the data just a minute ago and I still wonder when my drives will quit.

25. GroomLake

If a drive is turned on and off excessively on a daily basis, this could affect the longevity of the hard drive’s components. I recommend new drives every three years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.