Progress Bar duing scanning

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by nodHead, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodHead

nodHead Registered Member

I'm totally confused by it to be honest.

Started a scan (indepth) and the progress bar goes from 0% to about 40% in two seconds. Yet the rest of the scan (two HDD's total files stores = 700GiB) takes a good 20 minutes. What gives? o_O

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This reminds me a similar problem with my old Win98. The installation was quite slow until 98% when it said 2 minutes remaining. However, those 2 minutes were actually 10-20 secs :)

The progress percentage is calculated based on the number of scanned files. We cannot estimate quickly how much time it will take advanced heuristics to emulate particular files. For instance, a folder with txt files would be scanned in seconds whilst a folder with exe files might take minutes or hours to be scanned completely.

3. nodHead

Perhaps the calculation can be done differently? I don't know, but it's just a little confusing seeing the progress bar move from 0% to 40% just like that. Anyway its no showstopper and it doesn't really matter. Just something that I found a bit odd. Thanks for taking the time to reply! :thumb:

4. nodHead

Uploaded a video of the behavior to Rapidshare.

Just doesn't seem right to me. Still. :oops:

5. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

my on scan

0-4-11-13-33

my two scan

0-5-33

my tree scan

0-33

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.