Programs when computer start up

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Snooker, Mar 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snooker

Snooker Registered Member

Hi ... I am curious about when i download programs is there a limit as to how many programs i may have running o_O Also i like all the programs i have but i don't always use them all , once in awhile i may use this or that ... Whats is the best way to keep your programs and have them running when you want to start them up ..o_O? Is there any information about programs when you start up your computer what works best o_O I am using windows xp pro on a fairly new computer

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmm well let's see... The number of programs you can have running at once on your computer will be limited only by how much resources each running program uses and the total available resources your computer has. This does assume that none of those programs are conflicting, or "don't play well together."

Some applications you will want to start up when you boot the computer, like your antivirus and firewall, for instance. Since your PC is fairly new you probably have the resources to allow some other applications of your choosing run at startup, such as any antispyware you might use, etc...

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with this question

but maybe if you can clarify as to what type of programs or any specific applications I (or any of the many others here) can answer some of your questions better!

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

In that question that Detox askes u, could u be looking for a windows startup list?

If so here is a good link to what needs to be running and what doesn't,

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

snowbound

4. Snooker

5. Snooker

Okay this is all i need to know now thanks ... Is there a way to tell how much a program uses for resource and how can i tell how much resource i have on my computer ... When you mean resources on my computer do you mean how much ram i have

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

With resources I mean processor, RAM, hard drive space, (your PC also uses space on your hard drive/s for memory so long as it's available) and even video card/memory can be considered resources. I'm not positive about Xp but on WIN2k anyway you can press control+alt+delete and then click the "performance" tab and see how how much RAm/processor is being used at the moment and under the "processes" tab you can see how much memory is being used by each running process. I betcha XP is similar and if not surely someone will tell me so any minute :D

7. Snooker

Hi ... okay thats what i need to know thanks but now i need to know is how do you find the windows task manager window when using the alt+cltrl+delete because when i try it there is only a open window and nothing there it doesn't say what the window is only has below end task ,,, switch to and new task .... So how can i have the windows task manager back when i use alt+cltrl+delete o_O?

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, the window that you see when you hit control+alt+delete is the task manager. In Win2k there are tabs at top of that task manager window to switch between "processes" "performance" and tasks.

If you close that window (the task manager) by hitting "cancel" or the "X" button you should be back to destop.

9. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

-----------------------------------------
    If you close that window (the task manager) by hitting "cancel" or the "X" button you should be back to destop.
    -----------------------------------------

If your seeing these options below, you've found it. As Detox eloquently stated, check the Performanc Tab determine what resources are available.

10. Snooker

Hi ... thanks everyone for there info i seem to fixed the problem now ... I have those option back again

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ah good deal :D

don't be shy to ask about anything else you encounter/wonder that might relate to any of our forums here! There's certainly a lot of people around here who know a heck of a lot more than ol' Detox and somone will get ya sorted through most anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.