programs to create ram disk and your usage?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Sep 14, 2015.

1. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Thank you, sir. That is some great, valuable information. I played around with the command lines and continued quite a bit of research further into it last night to ensure that I will have the fundamentals now for NTFS permissions. I combined that with a bunch of other details which I've been studying out of the recent MSIgnite and was quite enjoyable research.

Thank you for the additional suggestion as well.

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

3. WildByDesign

Your welcome. My machines are all SSD these days, although RAM disk is still beneficial for me for performance reasons but also to limit SSD writes.

I have PGO-optimized Chromium build (binaries, extensions, flash player, profile, etc.) entirely running from RAM disk. Chromium startup performance is marginally better from RAM disk, but with actual web browsing usage and perf testing such as Performance-Analyser (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...alyser/djgfmlohefpomchfabngccpbaflcahjf?hl=en) the benchmarks easily outperform the same setup running from SSD in my comparisons.

I also have Thunderbird (binaries, extensions (Lightning is slow generally), profile, etc.) running from RAM disk. The only part of Thunderbird which I keep out of RAM disk is my maildir mail store (emails, essentially) because I simply can't risk losing my entire archive of emails. Lightning is definitely snappier from RAM disk, whereas it is generally known to slow Thunderbird down quite a bit.

4. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i would like to use a ram disk only for chrome & firefox cache , but without loosing the cache when i dismount the ram disk , but i haven't found a gain
    maybe i haven't configurated correctly the program

5. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

Softperfect Ram Disk 4.0 nof free anymore (From $29.00).

5 November 2016

SoftPerfect RAM Disk v4.0

• Product is no longer free for home users: licence fee applies.
    • Fixed memory allocation in a specific NUMA node when requested.
    https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks for the information
    is there a link for the last free version to download it?
    thanks

7. deugniet

deugniet Registered Member

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

9. WildByDesign

So far with version 4.0, there does not seem to be much incentive to purchase the upgrade as far as new features or functionalities go especially for an annual fee. It will be interesting to see if any future updates add any unique functionality to the program.

EDIT: For curiosity sake, I've copied 4.0 kernel-mode drivers over top of 3.x install (in safe mode with command prompt) and the 4.0 drivers are performing beautifully. However, I would assume that after the 30 day trial period is over that the kernel-mode drivers would enforce the trial period to end. We shall see.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    have you done some tests with the v4 kernel?
    thanks

12. WildByDesign

No specific performance tests, unfortunately. Just referring to basic functionality. I don't believe that much has changed yet from version 3.x to their latest 4.0 release.

13. Duotone

Duotone Registered Member

14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

15. Duotone

Duotone Registered Member

Yes I use it as Sandboxie Container Folder but on Win7...

16. WildByDesign

So I have been manually using the updated RAM Disk kernel drivers from 4.0 with the previous install/GUI from 3.x series (which was freeware) for approximately 34 days now. That confirms the 30 day trial of the 4.0 series is not enforced within the kernel drivers. Either way, there is very little difference one way or the other.

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    but how can i get the kernel of v4?:rolleyes:
    and use v3 with v4 kernel
    thanks

18. WildByDesign

@Mister X

First thing, of course, was I made a backup of my RAM disk ISO file in case things went bad. Essentially what I did was install version 4 trial version in a virtual machine so that I did not have to alter my own system setup. Once I installed version 4 in a VM, I simply copied spvdbus.sys and spvve.sys from the System32/Drivers directory. So I copied these out of the VM and into a directory in my main system.

At that point, I rebooted my system into Advanced Startup - Command Prompt mode, since in that mode there would be no third party kernel-mode drivers such as Softperfect RAMDisk's drivers running. From command prompted, I simply copied those version 4 spvdbus.sys and spvve.sys kernel drivers over top of the version 3 spvdbus.sys and spvve.sys drivers within the System32/Drivers directory. And from there, reboot system in regular Windows and my RAM Disk auto-mounted as per usual and zero issues ever since. It would be a good idea to backup the current version 3 spvdbus.sys and spvve.sys drivers just in case you run into problems. However, if there were problems, simply re-installing Softperfect RAM Disk would resolve the issue anyway. Who knows if this will still work with their next update to the 4.x series because they could potentially enforce the 30 day trial in kernel mode in the future.

19. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Rest assured they will, cause many in here will read this post of yours and somewhere else many have already did it too and shared it too. :argh:

Thank you very much.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  20. ashmedai

ashmedai Registered Member

Hi,
    Im using SoftPerfect RAM Disk..
    2048MB disk with Firefox cache and profile saved to *.img on windows shut down.

21. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    it's fast when save to *.img on windows shut down ?
    on mie it's slow
    thanks

22. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    thanks but do you use the ram disk in a virtual machine?
    but i guess it could be done under sandboxie

23. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

No he does not. He just set up a vm just to get the two kernel drivers files (spvdbus.sys and spvve.sys), then copy them out of the vm.

24. WildByDesign

As Mister X said, I don't run RAM Disk within VM. It was just a means to keeping things in my system tidy and simply copying over the kernel drivers. You could very well just install version 4.0 in your live system, copy the kernel drivers to another directory, then uninstall version 4. Then put 3.x back on the system and copy the kernel drivers over the other ones in System32/Drivers in advanced startup command prompt mode. But to be quite honest, it is a lot of work for very little (if any) gain.

25. ashmedai

ashmedai Registered Member

Yes, definitely shutting down slow.
    On my acer v3-771g i5-3230m, crucial mx200, 8gb ram.. it takes like 25 seconds but image is saving on second hdd 5400rpm.
    Normally it takes 5-6 seconds..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.