Profile matching

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Pieter_Arntz, Jan 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Just as border and port police use profiling to keep out criminals, researchers in upstate New York are developing software that can generate personalized profiles of network users by analyzing sequences of commands entered at each computer terminal.

The system could help protect military installations and government agencies as well as banking or other commercial networks that require especially tight monitoring.

Read the full story here:
    http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=94169&category=BUSINESS&newsdate=1/20/2003

Regards,

Pieter

2. snowy

snowy Guest

Pieter

nice reading...if I understand the below correctly its the emploee that will be profiles...is that about right??

"The "user-level anomaly detection" software draws up regularly updated profiles by closely tracking over time how each person performs an array of routine tasks, such as opening files, sending e-mail or searching archives."

Say am I missing something.....the more I read on issues like this the more it seems that all thats being done is what advertisers have been doing for years....

3. Pieter_Arntz

Hi snowy,

As an example:
    Suppose you sitting behind my ole computer ;)
    I normally open explorer with Winkey+E
    Now you want to do this and you click Start > This Computer
    Thats when the alarm goes off.
    I suppose they can and will refine it a lot more than that, down to clicking speed, number of typos etc.

Regards,

Pieter

4. snowy

snowy Guest

now that should be quite interesting......a couple of folks come in with hangovers..types slower..makes more mistakes....an the network administrator goes bonkers..LOL

just being slightly humorous here......

5. Pieter_Arntz

:D

It still fits the users profile when he makes more typos on Monday ;)

6. snowy

snowy Guest

PIETER

true story...names omitted:

a few years ago a company installed logistic controls for the heat\cool system of a very large lab.......a few days later the lab contacted the company....it had lost ten years of research because the temp got to hot........after much legal arguing...talk of lawsuits...the company owner..which by now had personally checked and set the controls only to discover that the controls were set differant the very next day.........took a blanket..an decided to spend the night at the lab.........during the night lo and behold the nightwatch stood by the controls with a paper clip.....patiently re-setting the controls.............
    that thing called the human factor

7. snowy

snowy Guest

PIETER..

oops..sorry..we were posting at the same time.

Yes, I am sure you are correct......just wondering outload how long before a work around or mess would be found...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.