Product of the Year

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Registered Member

Panda, McAfee, and Norton offer similar in-the-cloud tech. Norton differs from the rest because it whitelists processes and uses its newly enhanced heruistic analysis to scan the untrusted processes as needed, thus decreasing amount of FPs and lowering scan time and raising detection ... by excluding trusted processes. On my system, 98% of processes of trusted :)

Panda, McAfee, and Prevx have a database of definitions too big to be stored on the local system.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

as Joe said, Prevx already analyzes incoming files against a whitelist and adaptive blacklist as well as a group of heuristics and various metrics to interpret its behavior and determine if it should be trusted or not, it will also analyze the overall behavior of applications to make its own determination

Prevx Rules in this department, and works perfectly with the doctor ... :p

3. GreenWhite

GreenWhite Registered Member

Thanks.

Actually I was expecting a different response, maybe that it ( Prevx ) saved your life ( system ) that none other could, or experienced an unusually cool malware removal ability, etc..., rather than cloud, light, fast, and different.

4. Fly

Fly Registered Member

A humble addition: VIPRE. (Sunbelt software)

It's certainly new ! Most people claim it's light, some say otherwise.

According to Sunbelt Software marketing, an integrated antimalware product.

The 2.5 version of Counterspy was great (suggesting promise for VIPRE), but it's gone now.

I'm not saying it's the best. I haven't seen any decent or good comparative reviews. Which I consider a good reason to not install it right now.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Don't worry. The "best" is subjective. The topic doesn't ask for the "more secure" or "most effective" product of the year. For you Vipre it is! You will have your good reasons.

Just like in firewall polls in the poll forum, one can vote for Ashampoo or Rising. They aren't the most secure firewalls, but sure as hell are two of the lightest. And this can also be "best" for a setup.

Some people look for the most secure product, others want a compromise between security and user friendliness, others want a "set and forget" solutions, others hate pop ups, others want as light in CPU as possible, others are more concerned about RAM, others take into account the cost of a product, others don't.

So,

your addition has no reason in being "humble". Maybe it would be humble in another topic, titled "antivirus with highest detection rate". But "best" includes so many more parameters. At the end, the "product of 2008" for every user, is the one that made him feel more happy/comfortable running it.

(For the history, I have never tried vipre myself and don't plan to).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

For me is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.I've seen it 'i use it on others PC's cleaning O day threats for other AV's.

7. Long View

Long View Registered Member

with so many recommendations I thought I would give Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware a go. Sorry to report that all it found was 1 false positive. Hardly product of the year material.

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

If you ever work on a pc that has had it's resident realtime AV disabled by some rogue then MBAM is the tool to use.

On my own machines Sandboxie is No1, for cleaning up other machines, which I do free of charge, then MBAM is No1.;)

9. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I agree, both of them are the great security application.

10. Long View

Fortunately I don't have any resident realtime AV for any rogue to turn off :D :D

11. Franklin

Sitting within our own little Wilder's security world is a lot different than out there in the real world.;)

12. Long View

where do you think I spend the rest of the day ? I'm out there in the real world running a business with 3 or more machines running at any one time. I just don't go looking for trouble or test nasties as a hobbie. In my real world I think that the risks of infection are greatly overrated. Cases of infection that I have seen with others has always been caused by user error, not by bad luck and not by magic.

13. Someone

Someone Registered Member

That's what happens out there in the real-world. :eek: :D

14. Franklin

User error, lack of knowledge or both?

AV 2009.JPG

15. Long View

I'm not sure that I see any significant distinction between user error and lack of knowledge.

For me the question is how did these get on the machine. Then what am I going to do in future to avoid the same. The idea that a program or programs are the best solution just makes things worse.

Do you know what the user did to allow these 3 onto the machine ?

16. Franklin

I deliberately went there as an example.

Site links can be hijacked, fake codecs, postcard.exes, email attachments and other methods can install many different rogue apps.

These rogue authors have heaps of tricks up their sleeves with the rogue installers morphing constantly so as to be undetectable by any resident realtime AV/AS.

17. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

In this case the faked alert is part of the AV 2009 fraud.

For users with limited knowledge I restrict by default-deny policy and the problem is solved.

/C.

18. faterider

faterider Registered Member

I saw some posts about XP Antivirus 2009 (2008 ) which is rogue antivirus program. Just google it.

19. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I could not agree more with this statement. The whole reason I look for security software is to aide those who are prone to having problems. And hopefully to find tools that are easy to use and do not frustrate trouble-prone users. And SandboxIE is one of those tools most of the time.

Sul.

20. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

But regarding the thread title, do you think Sandboxie is the product of the year, every year?

21. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Believe me. The posts were purely in jest. ;)

22. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

After much thought, I have to finally cast my vote. [MOVE]insert drum roll[/MOVE] Bootit[MOVE]insert cymbal crash[/MOVE] Perhaps not considered a true anti-malware program. But nothing like a fresh clean image in the event of "whatever".

23. waters

waters Registered Member

west coast labs and av-comparatives have tested McAfee in the cloud technology,has any others been tested

24. Sully

Sully Registered Member

No. I think it is this year, for me, because so many normal problem-prone users both that I know and that I have heard of, have finally resigned themselves to the fact that they probably should use SOMETHING. And for a great many, SandboxIE is something they can understand and feel comfortable with using. It is not a brand new product, but for many users it is a brand new concept, and really for them quite revolutionary.

That is why I think it is product of the year. Has nothing to do really with how good it is, because there are other products that might perform just as well for their intended purpose.

Sul.

25. faterider

faterider Registered Member

These days I've lost my funny side and obviously take everything like an oath :) On the topic - CIS for me. Very light on resources, simply, thoughtfully and elegantly designed with much sleeping power (any advanced user could easily awake) and mostly - probably bright future. There is lot of inspiration at Comodo's place and many people involved which grants steady improvement over time and better and better product. Personally don't like changing security apps frequently, but prefer knowing one very well so choose the ones with some future ahead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.