ProcX released! Free process utility

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jason_R0, Mar 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Jason....thank you for making this product available free of charge :D I'm sure I will give it a whirl and check it out.

While I haven't tried it yet, I have a question that hopefully you can answer. I have a startup program called Fix-It Utilities that I recognize as "MXTASK.exe" through Task Manager and WinPatrol....but it always shows as TWO seperate but identical MXTASK.exe entries (with slightly different memory useage). I have a program called Recovery Commander, which came bundled with Fix-It Utilities, that I use to create a restore "checkpoint" every night. I'm sure that is the case as to why I see TWO entries using this same term...but will this program allow me to correctly identify which is which, so that I could "rename" one?

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks GKweb and Jason for a nice tool.

Rich

3. JRCATES

Just want to bump this up in the event that Jason or someone who knows might be able to respond (not that I typically get responses from vendors, but it's worth a shot).......

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi JRCATES, Could be some sort of file protection system such as armadillo, the processes usually run as a main .exe and a sub .exe with the same name, using a tool such as process explorer (sysinternals) will probably show you if this is the case.

HTH Pilli

5. JRCATES

Thanks for the heads up, Pilli....I guess I may have to look into Process Explorer to see if that's the case.

I'm still wondering if this little utility from Ghost will be able to determine this, and if it will allow processes like that to be renamed (which according to the features list, I'm thinking it should...but you never know). Hopefully maybe Jason will see this eventually and we'll get a clearer indication.....

6. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

If it is a process from a protector (like Armadillo) then you cannot rename it without making the program no longer work. ProcX doesn't allow you to rename processes on the fly, or do you mean allow someone to rename the process in ProcX itself so it shows differently? That also isn't currently possible, but might be worth a future feature.

7. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

I've just tried out ProcX.

csrss.exe shows up in my task manager but not in ProcX (it shows up in the screenshot at the GhostSecurity site).

Does anyone have any ideas why it might not show up for me?

csrss.exe does not show up in DiamondCs APM either.

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Check that "View" is set up as shown in my screenshot, also in the Process column click the + boxes in the explorer view to ensure you are viewing the processes inside the various groups such as System, winlogin & services etc..

HTH Pilli :)

Attached Files:

9. SpikeyB

Hi Pilli

Thanks for getting back. I can't seem to access a menu like that shown in your screenshot for ProcX, APM or my Task manager.

10. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I can never seem to see any entries for my AV programs in ProcX; KAV for example.

But they do show up in Task manager and Process Explorer!.

12. SpikeyB

Hi Pilli

I understand now. csrss shows up in Process Explorer from Sysinternals along with the menu you showed. Thanks for that.

It was ProcX from Ghost Security I was wondering about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.