Processus cleaner?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by alakazooo, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alakazooo

alakazooo Registered Member

Hi,

Anyone know if we can clean some useless processus and precess modules? Is there a free program wich can tell us wich process are useful and/or why they're running?

Thanks to whoever help me to learn!

2. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will not recomment the twaeks. He will break something.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Prio.

http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html

Prio enhances the standard Processes tab with useful tooltips containing detailed information about each running process: its name, manufacturer, version and full path to the executable file. It also shows which system services are currently running in each process, if there are any. Prio adds a check box specifying whether the priority of this application should be restored to the standard popup menu, as well as the command for switching to one of the services that are currently in this process.Besides, the digital signature of an executable file is verified for each process. Processes that possess such a signature will be highlighted in green, processes without a signature will be highlighted in red. If you are sure about the origin of a process while its executable file has no digital signature, you can mark is as valid using the "Treat As Valid" menu item and it will be highlighted in green. If the executable file of this process is changed, it will become red again.

5. alakazooo

alakazooo Registered Member

Ok thanks a lot, i'll read black viper...

Than for prio too, i'm not sure if it's what I need but i'll give it a try...

And now, what's the difference between a running process (I've 42 when every windows are closed and I only have ATI, Spyware Terminator, Spybot S&D, AVG free, sound and clock wich I can see in bottom right) and a process modules (Ad-Aware SE tell me that there's 1900 process modules...)

Thoses signatures you where talking about...does all progs i've installed left some ''traces'' (signatures) wih I would want to delete...does prio see all old signatures?

Thanks for tolerating my lack of knowledge!

6. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Processes are bits of the programs or services that you run. The modules are the bits and pieces that processes use to do what they do. Some processes use more modules than others, don't worry about the # of modules, nay even the # of processes you have since 42 is moderate. Registry cleaners or program uninstallers usually delete everything that a program creates on your drive. If and when they don't, you have "traces" left, which can include modules, shortcuts, registry keys,etc. To learn more about this stuff, look up the program process explorer from systernal.
    Just be really careful about deleting things, make absolutely sure you know what youre deleting.
    PS: dont trust the reg cleaners. Take control of them by researching the various reg keys that they want you to delete.
    To delete leftover dlls (modules), "registry boost" is a basic and reliable program to use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.