Processor diagnostics tools

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    One of my computers was making the tiniest of noises, sort a little chirp alongside the normal work of a fan. So I shut it down for a few moment to see if the problem would return.
    When I powered it up, the fan started working lamely sort of aa-aa-aa-aa, and there was a bleeping noise, upon which I got the message in the boot screen - the chipset speed is too low.
    I shut the pc again - gave it another 5 min.
    Powered it up, works smoothly, no troubles.
    It's a new machine - bought it only 4 months ago, AMD Athlon San Diego with Asus AN8 mobo. Any ideas? Any tools for diagnostics?
    Thanks,
    Mrk

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

Any system fan that is making noise should be replaced right away. Fans are a hell of a lot cheaper than a CPU or motherboard. So I highly recommend swapping out any noisy fan.

I do not know much about Asus boards, but I do know that they are an excellent manufacturer and would be my first choice for a home gaming system. The systems that I build at work use Intel boards, for the most part, for their reliability. My personal Intel board has the Active Monitor Utility, and Asus should have an equivalent. This utility sets of an alarm that warns you if any fan speed gets too low, or any zone on the motherboard gets too hot. If you are not using the Asus utility, then I would recommend using that.

My Intel D850GB motherboard at home will start the fans up as it needs them, and increase the fan speeds if it needs to. Every fan in the system is lit with LED’s. All are blue, except the last fan; that one is red. This is my visual cue that the system is getting hot. I rarely see the red fan on.

I also mount all of my chassis fans with Velcro instead of screws. This helps isolate fan noise from the chassis and makes them easy to remove. I just cut two Velcro squares in half to make four triangles.

You can also go to http://www.memtest.org/ and download memtest86+. You will be able to run diagnostics and see how well your CPU and RAM are doing.
    http://www.memtest.org/pics/nf2-big.gif

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    The problem was one time only.
    I did install the ASUS utility though. So far so good.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.