Processguard incompatibility with Raxco PerfectDisk

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by nadirah, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I hope this matter can be looked into by diamondcs. Processguard is on Raxco's list under this technical support article: http://www.raxco.com/support/windows/kb_details.cfm?kbid=494

On my own system here, Perfectdisk's boot time defrag stops working ever since I upgraded to PG 3.4 as soon as it was released. I believe and am very sure ProcessGuard must be behind this because of its kernel-mode driver which maybe opening the drive for write access before Perfectdisk can perform its boot-time defrag. Kernel-mode must be quite early in the startup process.

2. shaunwang

shaunwang Registered Member

Diskeeper also had this problem unless "execution protection" is disable or else it will not work properly even in protection or security list in process guard 3.405

3. nadirah

I'll try that out first.:ninja:

4. nadirah

I've tried disabling PG's protection, disabling Execution Protection, but it does not solve the problem.

Does version 3.405 solve this problem?

5. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I 'm using pg build 405 seems to work on non system partitions - but have not treid on os partition yet

6. shaunwang

shaunwang Registered Member

I not too sure either, most of the defragmentator seems to have problem with processguard.

my Diskeeper now acting weird on processguard active but after I turn everything off, it works like a charm. after that then I turn it back on again to protect :D

7. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Windows XP-SP2 HE, ProcessGuard V3.405, Raxco PD V7.0 Build 46, Dell Dimension BIOS A09 + Sil 3112A BIOS V4.2.1.2.

All protection in PG enabled except Learning mode and Block new and changed programs.

PD's boot time defrag works for me. I do not have the pagefile.sys selected.

8. nadirah

I uninstalled PG v.3400 and tried to do PD's offline defrag and still FAILED. I installed PG v3.405, the problem still persists.
    My metadata is 137 fragments. Guess I'll try again.

I can't think of any programs on my system that can conflict with Perfectdisk.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2006
  9. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I am using ProcessGuard V3.405 and Raxco Perfect Disk V7.0 Build 46, I have Process Guard is in Learning mode and I have my Page file.SyS selected. I am running Perfect Disk right now, ok finished. My Meta data is now 5.

10. siliconman01

Try running CHKDSK /r /f to check and repair any errors on your hard drive. An error on the hard drive will cause the boot time defrag to fail.

Turn off PD boot time defrag option.

Go to START-RUN and type in chkdsk /r /f (be sure there is a space before /r and before /f)

Then click on OK

When the CMD window appears, tell it YES that you want to run CHKDSK on the next boot.

Then reboot and let CHKDSK do its thing. It will take some time depending on the size of your C: drive.

After CHKDSK is done and the system boots on up, turn PD boot time defrag back on and see if the problem is resolved.

11. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Nadirah!

The Raxco offline defrag not working can be caused by ZoneAlarm antispyware, upate your ZAS if you have it.

Good Luck
    rico

12. nadirah

I don't use ZAS, so that is out of the question. Under regedit the hkey local machine currencon...set services I look at all the Start values, but can't find anything suspicious.
    I'm using GeSWall, I wonder if this is the cause. Perfectdisk's Offline defragment used to work correctly, why doesn't it now? :mad:

13. siliconman01

Did you try the CHKDSK /r /f that I mentioned above? I tell you true that an error on the startup hard disk will prevent PD boot time defrag to fail. I've had it happen to me. ;) If you contact Raxco support, this is what they will tell you to run and see if it corrects the problem.

14. some made up name

some made up name Registered Member

if you didn't change the PG driver from auto to system (and probably even then), PG shouldn't be running at the time of the defrag (the driver is the first to load if set to system, and if on auto it only loads around the time of the login screen (and the service))

i may be mistaken though, as the boot process MAY continue far enough to load the PG driver while it is doing the defrag. however, i highly doubt this to be the case ;)

not only that, but unless i misread, you yourself said that with PG uninstalled it still failed.

as such, i second siliconman01's suggestion of using CHKDSK /r /f

15. nadirah

Why the title of this thread? Because initially when the problem cropped up my first suspect was PG. But after further investigation it turned out that it was NOT PG's fault.
    And secondly, I've runned chkdsk and no problems on my hard disk drive. I can't figure it out yet. Is this something to do with a system device or driver loading earlier than perfectdisk at startup?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.