Process Guard and Administrator rights

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Antarctica, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I don't know if there is a relation. I did install Process Guard last week (license version)

Yesterday, I tried to install the trial version of Outpost and I got a message saying that I did not have the administrator rights to configure the software!
    :rolleyes:

Can you tell me if this could be cause by Process Guard?

I have Win XP Home Edition and I never had any problem before to install a new software.

Thank you for your help. :)

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Antarctica, Did you disable ProcessGuard or put it in learning mode first. I beleive Outpost adds a service which requires a re-boot once installed. Providing the program is from a trusted source then you should have no problem doing the above.
    I use OP2.5 and PG on another machine with no problens.
    With OP you have to be logged in with administrative rights to enable the install i.e. not an ordinary user account.

HTH Pilli.

3. Antarctica

Hi Pilli,

Thanks for your fast answer. No I didn't disable Process Guard But it was on learning mode.

Also I am the only user of the PC, so I should have the administrative rights.

So, should I try to re-install Oupost Pro 2.5 with Process Guard disable?

Thanks

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Antarctica, In the past I have had problems with the OP2 install and all I could put it down to was the previous install of another firewall, in my case it was Sygate. I had to manually remove all vestages of sygate from the registry before OP would install properly. Now whether I was just unlucky I am not sure. So it would be interesting to know what firewall you had running before also what other security software you are running & is your XP home fully patched to SP2?
    You could try disabling ProcessGuard, this at least, would put PG out of the question. You could also disable any other security programs you have running and remember to disable your Internet connection before doing so as a safety precaution.

HTH Pilli

5. Antarctica

Hi Pilli,

Thanks for your comments. I had LNS 2.05 installed but I wanted to test Outpost Pro 2.5

LNS was disable when I tried to install Outpost.And yes , my win XP is fully patch with SP2. Now beside Process Guard I have NOD32, Trojan Hunter, Spyware Guard, Ad-Aware and Spybot. Also my Internet connection was disable. :)

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

My advice remains the same, disable all running programs, this is not just a matter of closing their GUI's but also ensuring that their services are not running, you can check this by using Task Manager.
    You could also ask your question at the OutPost forum stating what uou have running as they may know of any incompatabilities.

HTH Pilli

7. tlu

tlu Guest

Antartica, it is not enough to disable an existing personal firewall. Agnitum (the producer of Outpost) recommends to deinstall any other firewall before installing Outpost to prevent running into problems. I guess that's the reason for your difficulties. On my computer OP 2.5 is running smoothly with PG.
    Another remark: You mentioned in another post that you should have administrator rights since you are the only user of your PC. That's indeed the default situation after a Windows installation. But it is highly recommended that you set up an additional user account with restricted rights which you would use for normal work and internet access. This strengthens your security considerably.

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thaanks for the Advice re. OP tlu :0 Agreed using a user account is the way to go when using the Internet.

Cheers. Pilli

9. Antarctica

Thank to Pilli and tlu for your help. It is very much appreciated. :) Right now I don't have too much time, but during Christmas Holiday I will give it another try by following your advice. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.