Process Explorer question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, Aug 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I just downloaded Systernals Process Explorer to try out. Seems like a nice program, providing lots of info....but I'm not sure how to read some of it.

For example, when different processes are highlighted in different colors, what does that mean? I've seen orange (yellow in the Services section?), green, and even a purple (red in the Explorer.exe blue section?)...and I've looked through their Help file but couldn't find any description that matches the color coding. Can somebody please clue me in here?

Thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

u can see what the colors are for in Options > Configure highlighting... u can also disable or change teh colors.

3. JRCATES

Doh! :ouch: Thanks for the help there, Fuser.

OK, so I have a software program which is designated in purple by PE. The color coded designation for purple is "Packed Images". When I search through the Help file for Packed Images, it says the following: malware, including viruses, spyware, and adware is often stored in a packed encrypted form on disk in order to attempt to hide the code it contains from antispyware and antivirus.

This program being highlighted is a program that I have a subscription for that is due to expire in a few weeks. Just recently, it has began throwing up a nag screen about renewing and expiration....blah, blah, blah.. Could this "nag screen" about renewing be the "packed image" it is referring to?

4. WSFuser

no that is not what packed images refers to, maybe this will clear things up for you:
    source: Packed images? (Sysinternals Forums)

5. JRCATES

Great....so "some legit software does it, as well as some forms of malware". :rolleyes: Since it' Spyware Doctor I'm referring to, I'll assume that it's not malware. I am curious why it would be using this technique, though, and what the purpose and/or benefit of it would be.....

6. WSFuser

first sentence in the quote. u have to ask PC Tools tho, if u want to know the exact reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.