Procedure for Switching Domain Controllers

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by nlk10010, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nlk10010

nlk10010 Registered Member

We have had ESet Remote Server and Console (V 4.0.138.0) installed on a Windows 2003 Enterprise Server which acts as a Domain Controller. Clients are pointed to that server and show up in the console, the console connects to the ERA server, no problem.

We are now going to replace that Domain Controller with a new machine running Windows 2012 Essentials. The new DC is on a new domain but we've established a trust relationship between the old and new domains, temporarily, as a means of transitioning from one to the other. I've installed ESET Remote Server and Console (V 5.0.242.0) on the new DC and tried, as a test, to switch one or two workstations from the old to the new ERA Server by opening up NOD32 AV on the clients and updating the IP of the Remote Administration server. Unfortunately, even after a day, neither of the two w/s I switched show up in the new console's list. Further, the new server doesn't show in the upper (Server) pane, even though it says "Connected" in the lower right-hand corner of the window. I've double-checked the IPs and the ports, the Remote Server service is running, I just don't know where to go from here.

I've examined the ESET KB but every article I've found seems to address peripheral issues. I would very much appreciate any pointers to KB articles or ESET site resources that would outline the appropriate procedure for switching servers.

Thanks in advance.

2. er34

er34 Guest

I have done this a lot in the past and all that is needed is to push configuration to all existing machines and tell them to point to the new IP address (of machine name) for remote administration.

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN884
    or
    more-complex : http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3007

If they don't show in the new ERA server make sure it is working, no firewall blocking the necessary communication (ports). If the change has been made either manually or via configuration, you should troubleshoot why the new ERA does not accept connections.

What do you mean by writing this:
    Should you need faster assistance or you don't find help, I guess you can always contact ESET support.

3. nlk10010

nlk10010 Registered Member

What I meant was that on the Clients tab, the right hand part of the screen is divided into two parts, upper (Servers) and lower (Clients). Nothing shows in either pane. On my old ERA Console there is an entry in that upper part for the DC running the ERA server. ESET KB says that to check if the console has connected to the server you need to check if it says "Connected" in the lower right-hand corner of the console screen, which it does. That's what confuses me.

I disabled the firewall on the new dc as a test and the new IP of the Remote Administration server is entered correctly in the AV clients. I'm not sure what's going on but I will contact ESET support directly if I can't figure things out.

Thanks for the post.

4. er34

er34 Guest

Now I understand better. This means that you are not connected properly or at all to the new ERA server on the new DC (Windows Server 2012). Troubleshoot that, may be reinstall ESET Remote Administrator Console and Server and try again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.