Problems with upgrade to EEA Version 5

Discussion in 'ESET Server & Remote Administrator' started by ADW, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ADW

    ADW Registered Member

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2009
    Posts:
    8
    I've just upgraded a client's network from AntiVirus version 4 to Endpoint Security version 5 and I'm having a lot of problems.

    I upgraded the Server and the console to the latest version 5.0.242 and set up a push install task to upgrade the client PC's to EEA version 5.0.2126. This appeared to work ok, and the new EEA icon appeared in the PC's task bar notification area with a message that the PC should be restarted. However, when the client PC's are rebooted, they are unusable, in some cases for as long as a hour, while the EEA program does whatever it is it does. I've no idea what it is doing, but whatever it is it is totally crippling the PC's.

    The server upgrade has created a totally new policy for Windows Desktop v5 and hasn't migrated any of the policy settings from the v4 product. Do I have to reset these all manually again, or is there a way of migrating the policy settings from v4 to v5?

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    ADW
     
  2. MattJN

    MattJN Former ESET Support Rep

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2010
    Posts:
    149
    Hello,

    When you pushed version 5 to the workstations, did you use the "Upgrade Windows Client" option or did you use "Windows Push Installation"? If you used "Upgrade Windows Client", the configuration settings should have remained on the workstations. If you used "Windows Push Installation", please confirm if you uninstalled version 4 prior to pushing version 5.

    If the latter is true, do you have any workstations that still have version 4 (and the configuration) installed? If so, we can use a policy to manually set up the appropriate section for version 5 based on the same settings.

    Thanks,
     
  3. ADW

    ADW Registered Member

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2009
    Posts:
    8
    Hi,

    Thanks for the response.
    I used the 'Upgrade Windows Client' option on all but two of the workstations to which I did a 'Push Install'. These were running other AV software which I uninstalled before doing the 'Push Install' of EEA. The installation to the workstations went ok for the most part, but it's the impact that the upgrade has had on the performance & usability of the PC's that's the main problem. After the upgrade, the PC's took an age to start up, as I said previously, up to an hour in some cases. I disabled the Startup Scan in the Default Profile and this improved the startup times of the PC's, but they are still much slower than before. Also, ever since the upgrade, all the PC's have become very slow at doing normal tasks like opening Word documents or Excel Spreadsheets, or using Outlook. If I disable the AV protection, the PC's performance returns to normal, so there must be some problem with this latest version of the EEA client. I've also noticed that the memory footprint of the EEA client software has increased to just over 100MB on most of the PC's. This in itself may not be a problem if the software was running efficiently, but it appears it is not.

    ADW
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.