Problems with TI 11 Boot CD - Some Solutions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mustang, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mustang

mustang Developer

I've been playing with the TI 11 boot CD. Here are some solution I've found so far:

1. Disconnect all USB devices except the hard drive with your backups. It seems to have touble with USB card readers (standalone or in the printer) and zip drives. It may not make any difference, but it's worth a try.

2. Try the usual "quiet acpi=off noapic" parameter.

3. Remove "quiet" and leave the box blank. See if you get a verbose Linux boot. If you are able to type when it stops, enter "/bin/product" without the quotes. True Image should start. When you close the program type "exit" without the quotes. If it freezes, look at the last device listed on the screen. At least you'll know what device is causing the problem. I saw one machine that stopped on /dev/sda (a SATA internal hard drive). The BIOS was set to have SATA emulated as IDE. This told me to try the "quiet sata_sis=off" parameter. It worked.

4. Look in Appendix D of the TI 11 User's Guide. There is list of parameters you can try. Try them all. You can also try combinations of them separated by a space.

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

These are intersting. However, I think you are quite generous to call them solutions. I see them more as workarounds, duct-tape, or, abandoning metaphor, work steps that users generally should not have to go through.

If some of the ATI 11 probs are as simple as having changed the start up paramenters between ATI 10 and ATI 11, then I cannot understand why Acronis hasn't made some announcements. Maybe they're waiting until they get some of the other probs nailed down, like failure to see RAIDs.

Anyway, nice detective work.

3. mustang

mustang Developer

Thank you.

I tried to see if there was a "workaround" for the RAID problem. I set up an Intel ICH7R array. Nothing I tried could get the TI 11 Boot CD to see the array. This is a missing or bad driver issue that Acronis will have to solve. The TI 10 CD saw the array as others have reported.

4. CorkyG

CorkyG Registered Member

I found a problem that probably no one else will have - and that is, when using the TI-11 Rescue Media for booting, once TI-11 is loaded - the Wacom Graphire mouse quits working. It is OK right up through the main menu selection. After that - nada!

I was able to complete the job by quickly popping in a spare direct USB mouse. The Graphire is wireless and gets its power from the Wacom digitizing pad. It works perfectly in all previous versions.

Anyway, I was able to clone my RAID 1 array to a single external USB drive. The TI-11 Rescue Disk had no trouble seeing the RAID 1 array as a single lettered drive designated as an array.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Wrong ! My Graphire mouse and tablet have never worked with any version of TI from V8 to V11 when booted from the Acronis rescue CD. Mind you it has never worked in Windows safe mode either. My work around is to keep an elderly mouse tethered to a PS2 just for those occasions.
    Like the Wacom mouse it does not need feeding.

Xpilot

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The Wacom isn't connected via USB and the usbmouse=off parameter doesn't make the mouse workable?

I have a logitech mouse and never tried to see if the mouse for my wacom board works duing an ATI BootCD bootup -- the board is always plugged in but I never tried to use that mouse while doing a restore. Something new to try when I get home.

7. CorkyG

CorkyG Registered Member

I think it depends on the USB port to some degree. My Graphire works perfectly with Rescue Media in 7, 8, 9, and 10. But not 11. But, like you I keep a spare USB mouse handy for hot plugging. It works. For XP, I simply will use my version 10 CDR - no problems with the Wacom tablet. I will just use 11 for Vista drives.

BTW - I cloned 4 Vista drives with the TI-11 CDR yesterday and not a trace of a problem.

8. CorkyG

CorkyG Registered Member

Interesting! My Wacom is connected to USB via a hub. Where is that parameter you speak of to be found? I can check that but where is it?

9. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

After booting to your rescue CD and Acronis has loaded completely, when you see the choices "Full" "windows" "safe" mode hit the F11 key and type usbmouse=off in the "command window" ( beside the word "quiet")

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.