Problems with IE 6 SP1

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rasheed187, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Hi,

The first problem is that I cannot delete sites from the untrusted/restricted zone anymore, anyone knows what might be the problem? Or does anyone know how to do this manually? Where are these settings stored?

The second problem is that quite few updates that I've downloaded won't install! I get to see: "IE 6 SP1 must be installed for this update". Trust me, it is installed. :(

The updates that I downloaded (and won't install) are also not being presented on Windows Update (I use Win98SE), so am I not vulnerable or something? o_O

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The Restricted sites are stored in the below reg key per each user.

Could you also describe a little more about...."cannot delete sites from the untrusted/restricted zone " ? Are you receiving a message informing you of this ?

Reg key storage--->HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Thanks, I will try that IEFix app, but I don't get it, I reinstalled IE 6 and I still have the same problems, how the hell can it be broken? And how the heck can I install the patches, it's really strange, I have v6 SP1 (6.0.2800.1106), but not according to those patches. :(

Bubba, I will try to delete them in the registry. What happens is that I delete a site from the restricted zone, for example *nu.nl, and the next time I start the internet options window, it just keeps coming back.

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Bubba,

Rasheed is using W 98 SE.

Now there is a strange difference between the versions of Regedit used by W 98 (Regedit 4) and Windows versions XP (I believe Regedit 6).

Regedit 4 (on Windows 9:cool: puts the regkeys for the Restricted Sites on two different places:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains

There have been a discussion about this with Eric Howes and R2, but I have to try to find that link...

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

@ Jan
    Win2K also places items in the HKEY_USERS key and the HKCURRENT_USER section.....OR to be more precise....the HKUsers key holds user configuration and the HKCURRENT_USER key is really an alias to the current user's subkey in the key HKEY_USERS.

@ Rasheed

You may have had a typo....BUT....if the entry is actually....*nu.nl....that could be one of the problems. There should be a .(period) after the *(asteric) and before nu.

If indeed that is the case....you will have to manually edit that entry out of your registry in the location mentioned in my earlier post.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2004
  7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks a lot Bubba !!! :)

BTW, I've found the thread at DSLR:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8600137~mode=flat

Cheers, Jan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.