Problems with I.E. 7 using Spywareblaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by biggerbyte, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biggerbyte

biggerbyte Registered Member

I noticed that I could not play any videos over at foxnews.com after installing I.E. 7. The video box would just stay a blank graphic and do nothing. After thinking about uninstalling Spywareblaster to see what might happen, I found that doing so did indeed fix the problem. I re-enabled SB again to make sure, and once again no video. SB is causing some problems in I.E. 7 that it did not in I.E. 6.

Anyone?

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

This appears to be because SpywareBlaster puts "doubleclick.net" in the Restricted Sites area of Internet Explorer (to help prevent tracking / ads).

The site you mentioned is trying to load a video ad from the doubleclick.net domain, but can't because the site is in the Restricted Sites database and Javascripting is disabled for it.

You can simply disable that one entry (or right-click on it to add it to your permanent ignore list) in SpywareBlaster to fix the video issues that affect that site, however you will most likely notice increased ads there and elsewhere, and doubleclick will be able to track you. (If you'd like to disable it, look for the "Doubleclick (2)" entry in the Restricted Sites database in SpywareBlaster.)

I hope this helps. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. biggerbyte

biggerbyte Registered Member

Thank you for the response. Strange that this was not a problem with I.E. 6. Foxnews played all videos without issue while making no changes to Spywareblaster.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

IE 7 adds some further settings to tighten security control in various zones, including the Restricted Sites zone.

I suspect one of them is the culprit in this particular case, but obviously it also has some significant benefits. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. Durad

Durad Registered Member

So it mean that SpywareBlaster is fully compatible with IE7?

How about Firefox 2?

Thanks

6. DaDude

DaDude Registered Member

[MOVE][/MOVE]
    Hi there
    It has come to my attention that Spywareblaster updates changes the settings in I E 7 Internet Options Restricted Sites Zone to Medium instead of the setting remaining on the default setting of High ..

Is this a known issue and will the be a fix or workaround supplied in the near future

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Whomever brought that to your attention brought you eroneous information. Spywareblaster checks and makes adjustments accordingly to the Internet and Restricted Zones as mentioned in this post.

Bubba

8. DaDude

DaDude Registered Member

>>>>>>>>>>>.

That's excatly what I thought
    Thanks Bubba

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Glad that sorted it out and you are Welcome.

10. potatofarmer

potatofarmer Registered Member

I am having the same problem as the OP at Foxnews using IE7 with XP SP2.

I have tried disabling the "Doubleclick (2)" entry, then all Doubleclick entires. I also tried disabling all activex controls and restricted cookies to no avail.

The blocked cookie list appears to be the same for Firefox 2 yet videos work perfectly when using FF2.

Any help appreciated.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have had IE7 installed for a while, and did an update to SpywareBlaster just recently. I haven't experienced your problem (yet). Are you sure there isn't another additional possibility to the problem?

12. potatofarmer

Well I can't be sure. I have an identical setup on my laptop minus SB and IE7 works fine. It may be a setting in IE7 that I have overlooked but the main security and privacy levels on both PCs are the same.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

13. potatofarmer

I can confirm that the problem is related to Spywareblaster. When I disable the blocked sites list and restart the web browser video works.

I manually disabled all entries up to coolwebsearch - no change. Then re-enabled the first group and disabled everything after coolwebsearch - again no change.

I then downloaded CWShredder to check for the coolwebsearch trojan - all clear.

So at this point it could be one of three things.

- It's one of the 2700 or so coolwebsearch entries.
    - It's multiple entries consisting of at least one from each group of sites listed before and after the coolwebsearch list.
    - It's a problem that instantly manifests itself as soon as the blocked sites list is enabled at all. I would like to try just a single site and then change it but the user interface would force me to enable the entire list and then manually disable about 3000 entries.

Does anyone have any idea which sites to target?

Thanks.

14. tdunnusa1

tdunnusa1 Registered Member

I believe the problem is actually possibly due to the latest version of Flash. I used Adobes site to uninstall the latest version of Flash and then installed a previous version and then was able to play the video on IE 7. I'm not using Spywareblaster however but I would at least give this a try since my problem sounds just like this.

15. Patty_Rios

Patty_Rios Registered Member

It has a lot of sense your words. If we decide to use a new version of Internet Explorer, we should update the most software's version we have in the computer.
    I did that and I don't have the problems wrote here, inclusive I use Spywareblaster several years ago. There are menu free updates in Internet

16. Patty_Rios

Patty_Rios Registered Member

It has a lot of sense your words. If we decide to use a new version of Internet Explorer, we should update the most software's version we have in the computer.
    I did that and I don't have the problems wrote here, inclusive I use Spywareblaster several years ago. There are menu free updates in Internet :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.