Problems with Facebook and browsing the web in general with NOD32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by merkavam4, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merkavam4

merkavam4 Registered Member

Hello everyone

I've used NOD32 a few years ago, but didn't liked it so I switched to Kaspersky. Now, after very good reviews I've read on the web about version 4, I'm willing to give it another chance. I've just installed the trial version of ND32 4.2. So far, everything works pretty well, but I'm having two major problems concerning browsing the web with this AV:

1. Browsing the web in general is not smooth & fluid - there are glitches all the time, after writing a post or a reply in forums and pressing the "post thread/reply" button there is always a delay of a few good seconds, and watching videos is again always full of lag & glitches, especially on Youtube.

2. Browsing on Facebook in particular is virtually impossible - the chat windows doesn't appear half the time(an error message instead), following links from my email to reply to messages from friends on Facebook results again in an error message, and viewing friend's list of one of my friends results in an empty list half the time, the other half names with empty squares where the profile photo suppose to be.

I've tried to re-configure the web access protection, but apart from enabling or disabling it there is no other option. The problem is, trying to browse the web while this option is disabled doesn't solve the problems either. Maybe I'm missing something...

I'm using Firefox 3.6.3 and Google chrome 4.1.249.1064(the last ver of both).
    OS - Windows XP pro SP3.

Anybody here knows how to solve these two problems?

TIA

2. SolidState

SolidState Registered Member

Are you running anything else that might be filtering/scanning/proxing any HTTP traffic?

When you uninstalled your old AV programs did you use their removal tool as well? How many AV applications historically have you had installed on that machine? Is your windows install "old"?

Are you using a software firewall like Outpost etc?

I'd start by disabling the AV built into Firefox.

about:config

browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone;false to disable it.

If it's an older windows install that had boxed AV crap like McAfee and a history of trying AV applications... Download the uninstall tool for Kasperky, McAfee, Symantec and so on. Heck run every uninstall tool for any of those other AV application you think MIGHT have been installed historically on that machine. Uninstall NOD32 as well. wow wait... are you using NOD32 or Smart Security.. (HTTP traffic issues hint firewall)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Are you certain that you uninstalled Kaspersky successfully ?

Whatever add-ons you may have on Firefix such as NoScript could be causing the Browser slowness issue.

Does this happen with Internet Explorer ?

Post back your installed third-party security software, however insignificant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.