Problems with boot cd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by flyboy320, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyboy320

flyboy320 Registered Member

I have just purchased a new laptop (specs can be found HERE)

I can make a backup image OK on a DVD, and also burn a boot cd OK as well. Now when I boot with the cd, I get to the Acronis flash screen and it freezes (using full mode). If I boot in the safe mode, it will load OK but when I replace the boot cd with the dvd my image is on, and follow the prompts to restore the image, Acronis only sees my C: drive, and not my dvd drive (which I find strange since the computer booted up OK with the boot cd in the dvd drive to begin with).

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong, or have a work around? I'm using Acronis True Image 9.0

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello flyboy320,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all please make sure that your bootable CD was created with the latest build (2289) of Acronis True Image 9.0. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product. Then please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word and click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling, you can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys in order to scroll the screen manually. Please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens and send the captured information to us. Please contact us from our web-site. Please don't forget to send the link to this thread along with gathered information. This would allow us to investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. flyboy320

Thanks for the reply.

If I press the f11 key and remove the quiet word, the Acronis splash screen appears, and then it freezes, so it doesn't get to the point where any words are written across the screen.

Perhaps the laptop's to new to have the latest build work correctly.

4. Acronis Support

Hello flyboy320,

Please do the following:

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Choose the 'Save' option in the 'File' menu (or 'Action' menu under Windows 2000), enter the 'File name' and set the field 'Save as type' to 'System Information File (*.NFO)';
    - Send the result file to us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. flyboy320

Sorry this has taken a while to reply, but the laptop was out being repaired.

I cannot use the system info file, as my version of XP does not allow you to save it (as far as I can tell) as any type of file, so I posted the system info as best I can here.

6. Acronis Support

Hello flyboy320,

Thank you very much for all the provided information.

However, this is not enough to proceed with the investigation of the problem.

Since you can not save Windows System Information as *.NFO file for some reason, please do the following in order to save it as text:

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;

- Select System Information;

- In File (or Action) menu choose Export...

- Save System Information as text file;

- Compress the resulting file with ZIP;

- Do as Irina has suggested in her post #2 and send this file to us.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  7. flyboy320

When I goto

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information

The resulting page looks like the attached jpg file, so I'm not sure how to proceed

Attached Files:

8. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Pick "Use Tools to view ..."

9. flyboy320

If I pick

- Use tools to view, advanced system information, view detailed system information (msinfo32.exe)

It just brings me back to the first page "help and support center", same as the picture I posted above, its like an endless loop. o_O

10. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Go to Start | Run, and type msinfo32.exe, followed by the OK button.

11. flyboy320

If I do that, I get the same screen that I posted earlier (the attached jpeg file), called "help and support center"

12. Acronis Support

Hello flyboy320,

Perhaps you just click on "Help and Support" instead of "Run".

However, I have reviewed this thread once more and noticed that Irina has suggested you to download and install the latest build (2289) of Acronis True Image 9.0 in her first reply.

The point is that new build (2302) of Acronis True Image 9.0 has been released since that moment :)

If you are not using build 2302 yet then please download and install it, create new Bootable Rescue CD, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

I the problem still persists with the Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest (2302) build of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please submit a request for technical support describing the issue and containing the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears along with the link to this thread. We will certainly try to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

13. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello flyboy320,

Sounds as if the index.dat file in the C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache folder has become corrupted or been deleted. Check out this thread at <Scot's Newsletter Forum> for more info.

Regards

14. flyboy320

Menorcaman,

Thank you so much, that was my problem..... :D

I can now send the NFO file as requested.

15. flyboy320

Well I tried the latest build, but no go. I get the same results ie. I can only boot with the safe option.

16. flyboy320

A month later and still no help.... :(

17. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Have you downloaded the new build 2337? Build 2302 which you were using was full of bugs, but the 2 builds since then have fixed most of them. The new build is certainly worth trying.:cool:

18. flyboy320

Still have the same problem with 2337. Tried making a new boot cd, and it boots fine with "safe mode", but freezes with "full mode". With "safe mode", the dvd drive does not show up, only the h/d does.

19. Menorcaman

Hello again flyboy320,

First of all, please make sure that Build 2337 has installed correctly as there is a problem with its installer (check the build number via TI's Help > About menu item). If it hasn't then you will need to uninstall TI via Windows Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs", reinstall Build 2337, create a new bootable rescue CD and try booting into Full rescue mode again.

However, I notice that there is nothing in any of the previous post that indicates whether or not you've tried the acpi=off noapic workaround. If you haven't, boot from the TI rescue CD then, when you get to the TI selection screen, press F11 to drop into the Linux kernel command line. After the word Quiet, leave a space and type the additional commands acpi=off noapic then click OK to exit the command line and choose to boot into the Full rescue mode.

Regards

20. flyboy320

It seems to have installed correctly and it shows version 2337.

I tried, but the full version still does not load. As soon as the flash screen is loaded, the dvd drive stops spinning. Its as thought the first file/driver it loads, stops the rest of the load.

21. Menorcaman

How long have you waited after getting to the True Image flash screen (the CD/DVD drive will stop spinning as soon as it has loaded the 28.1 MB of TI data into system RAM - and that doesn't take long!!)? The reason I ask is that some Users have reported they needed to wait a minute or two before seeing the "Acronis loading, please wait..." message, which is then followed some time later by the True Image GUI.

Regards

22. flyboy320

I have let it sit for 5min with no change. The dvd drive spins down and turns over very slowly after 2 seconds of the splash screen coming on, and completely stops after 30 seconds, and then just sits there. When I load the safe version, the dvd continues to spin and you can hear it accessing the drive until the program starts up.

23. Acronis Support

Hello flyboy320,

If you have already contacted our Support Team via e-mail then please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address. We will review the correspondence and see what more can be done regarding this issue.

If have not contacted us via e-mail yet then please do the following:

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to choose either Full, Safe or Boot into Windows option appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button and choose "Full Version";

- As the startup messages stop scrolling please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach collected files and information to your request along with the information about your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, etc.) and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.