Problems with Apache, Office Communicator

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by ajones, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajones

ajones Registered Member

I have been using NOD32 v2.x (2.70.39) for a long time now and frankly, have never faced any problems with the same. No incompatibilities, nothing. It just works, period. :)

The other day I decided I'd try out NOD32 v3.0.669 since it's been a long time that v3.x has been out and I hoped that most major problems had been taken care of by now. Unfortunately, NOD32 let me down for the first time, and that too, pretty badly.

Right off the bat Apache HTTP Server stopped working, and so did Microsoft Office Communicator 2005. The former stopped responding to all requests and even refused to show the Apache homepage at localhost, whereas the latter just stopped signing in. Nothing I did (including turning off HTTP scanning, adding program exceptions etc.) could bring them back to life sadly, even after uninstalling NOD32. :ouch: I wasted a lot of time uninstalling both these programs as well, cleaning out my registry, then reinstalling NOD32 v2.70.39 and those two programs again. So a very big :thumbd: to NOD32 v3.x is all I can say for now. :mad:

I read somewhere that even getting Apache to work with NOD32 2.x might be a miracle of sorts, so no idea why it works for me but 3.x fails miserably at the same. Also, even if Apache supposedly makes non-standard calls or something, surely that doesn't stop other AVs from working properly with it?

I thought that the 3.x branch would be fairly stable by now but apparently the high standards we're used to from Eset have now fallen quite a bit. :'( I liked the new UI etc., but sadly if 3.x stays the same performance and compatibility-wise (which is the main thing anyway, who really gives a damn about the UI), then too bad but I guess I'll have to move to a competing product and stop evangelising about NOD32. Till date I have convinced tons of people to dump bloated crap like Norton etc. and install NOD32, but no longer (certainly no recommendations for 3.x from me!)

So long, and thanks for all the fish, ;)

Andrew

P.S. OS is XP SP3 (fully updated).

P.P.S. Seems 2.x has a problem with updates now. Am stuck at 3301 (July 27) and for some reason the dumb thing keeps saying it's updated! :mad: Dunno if 3.x messed up something on my system (I did clean the registry etc. thoroughly though), but things seem to be going from bad to worse now, so I think a switch in allegiance in shortly in order.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Couldn't it be that you have enabled IPv6 on your WinXP?

3. ajones

ajones Registered Member

Nope, IPv6 is not installed and never has been on this system, I'm sure. Plus, it's a fresh install from an original XP SP3 CD and I'm pretty sure IPv6 is not enabled by default on XP.

BTW, why that query about IPv6? Does that mean that NOD32 v3.x doesn't support IPv6 and refuses to work if it's enabled?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.