Problems galore

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Tintagele, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tintagele

Tintagele Registered Member

Hi all...tried NOD32, loved it, paid for licences for desktop and laptop computers, both running WinXP. (Laptop has SP2 installed, desktop not yet.)

I realised something had snuck in under the radar on both computers when NOD32 and (bristling!) antispyware weren't updating or apparently doing anything. Uninstalled NOD32 on both machines, installed AVG and picked up an IRC virus/trojan (sorry, can't remember the name and don't run any IRC or other chat/MSN programs) which, yep, disables av and antispyware.

Uninstalled AVG on the laptop after a couple of days' watching,and reinstalled NOD32 - but EMON has disappeared from the Control Centre! How do I get it back?

Uninstalled AVG on the desktop ditto, then downloaded/installed the beta version of NOD32. I think it's okay - I'm getting time-date-stamps on downloaded email - but email seems to download too quickly from an old free version of MailWasher, and I never see the occasional EMON waggle in the system tray. Is this okay? NOD32 processes email faster than anything else I've seen, but I wonder if it *is* being processed at present.

2. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hi,

Sounds like you're back on track there...

You might try sending yourself a copy of the eicar test file to see if the mail scanner is doing it's thing.

3. Tintagele

Thanks for that! - Sorry to be so long replying, blame it on flu...

Okay: on either computer, couldn't download the eicar files. And when I tried to save the eicar string as text in NotePad, both computers, NOD bounced up and wouldn't let me, so it's obviously on the ball. I tried emailing myself the string from a webmail address, but that never got past anything, I didn't get the emails.

I still don't see NOD 'working' on emails on the desktop computer, but it's stamping each email. I *can* see EMON working on the laptop, but EMON is not listed in the control centre. Guess I'll just have to uninstall and reinstall - I like to know what the settings are.

4. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, Emon only runs if u are using Outlook or MS exchange (MAPI interface) see HERE for more info.

There are safer and faster email clients available than those, i have never had Emon on my PC as i dont use Microsoft Email programs.

5. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hi,
    The current version of EMON only work in Outlook 98/2000, not XP/2003.
    There're a new beta of EMON that work correctly with XP/2003 as well.

6. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Seriously? That is nuts and unacceptable if true... they've been out for how long?

7. Tintagele

Hi all, thanks again! I never use OE or Outlook <g> - have always used non-VBS non-virus-running email clients. (In fact the one I'm using now has never had a virus run out of it in its very lengthy history.)

However, NOD32 has certainly scanned my incoming emails in the past (and still does on the laptop - I can see the 'moving chevrons' in the system tray when I'm downloading, and often a msg tag describing the size of the email) plus pops up a message if an email-borne virus is detected. (Or used to). Anyway, I'm still checking and NOD32 is still stamping my incoming emails as scanned.

Thank you all so very much for your help! I'm so grateful.

8. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Goodness I have Outlook 2003 and now realise I don't have Emon for real protection of my e-mails :'( from the link I see Imon is scanning but did not realise my e-mail client is not fully supported by NOD. Given I have the complete Office 2003 suite it is not quite appropriate to use another client for e-mail. I haven't uninstalled AVG Pro from my main PC as I intended to do after purchasing NOD for my notebook but this has worried me and I think I will have to wait until the new version is released to ensure my PC is protected more than my notebook is just now with NOD32 as it is today :'( I didn't realise this until I read this post.

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Robyn,

Whether or not EMON is used depends on how your e-mail accounts are configured. Generally, on a home use system, mail will use a POP3 based account and scanning through IMON is what you should see. Corporate mail systems where a Microsoft Exchange mail server is used is where MAPI is typically seen.

If you're unsure how things are configured on your system, bring up Outlook. Select Tools>E-mail Accounts....>View or Change Existing Email Accounts>Next. On the dialog box that pops up, you'll see the type of mail accounts employed. If it shows as POP/SMTP, IMON is what is appropriate for NOD32 to use and I would not be concerned about EMON.

Blue

10. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you Blue

I now know this is the MAPI bit I got mixed up with when I first installed NOD :oops: and realise now why I don't have it installed as it is POP3/SMTP I have my accounts configured to use.
    I do like all the unusual names NOD uses with IMON etc but when I saw something was missing from my setup I was worried. I should have remembered I do not use MAPI and my Outlook 2003 is OK.

Thanks for explaining this to me (it was me being stupid when I was alerted to this :oops: ) I still have a lot to learn about NOD32 but would be very reluctant to stop using it therefore this extra assurance has ehlped me a lot. Thanks.

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

No worries Robyn,

It can get quite confusing juggling all the acronyms out there.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.